General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy 2017 or wait for 2018?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy 2017 or wait for 2018?

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. Decided to join to get some information as I will be purchasing a new F-150 in the near future. Live up in rural southern Ontario Canada, an hour northwest of Toronto. I work as an electrician, and need an all around vehicle to transport family and carry my tools and 6' step ladders. I've been looking at purchasing an F-150 for years, and have finally decided to take the plunge. I've narrowed down my build to the following:

Supercrew, 4x4, 5.0L, 6.5' bed, 3.55 Electronic locking diff, 302A, Sport and FX4 packages.

My question is in regard to 2017 and 2018 models. I'm on the fence on whether I should wait for the 2018 model since they will all have the new 10 speed transmission which I do like. I'm also very interested in the new 3.0L Powerstroke diesel option they will have, but am hesitant because it's a new engine and don't know anything about its reliability.

Just wanted to get people's fact based opinions on what they would do. Would you just go for the 2017 or wait out for the 2018 offerings?

Thanks in advance,
Jack
Old 03-27-2017, 09:27 AM

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd wait for 2018 just because the 2.7 and 5.0 engines get updated. They will add port injection to help from getting oil deposits on valves, as well as 10 spd trans.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:41 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

The diesel won't release until later in the model year. While it will be a new motor to the F-150 it is not a "new" motor and is used in other vehicles Ford builds. Would like to think the reliability won't be much of an issue.

If you want the 10 speed with the 5.0 you'll need to wait for the 2018 available around 10-17, if you order by 8-17. Diesel approx., 4-18. Nobody knows for sure at this point.

Me, I'd wait. Sounds like for what you want you might as well wait also. That will be a really nice truck, especially for a work truck.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:50 AM

Thanks for the replies so far.

idrive, do you have any links or references regarding your statement about the diesel? A quick google search doesn't come up with any useful information. Which vehicle(s) is this engine currently being used in?

I plan on keeping the truck for a while, and since it will be my all year around daily driver, I figure what the hell and load her up. It won't be used as a heavy duty work truck. More of a service vehicle setup. Possibly a bed cap, or shelving. I'm not sure yet.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:01 AM
I'm from Canada, eh?

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by idrive
The diesel won't release until later in the model year. While it will be a new motor to the F-150 it is not a "new" motor and is used in other vehicles Ford builds. Would like to think the reliability won't be much of an issue.

If you want the 10 speed with the 5.0 you'll need to wait for the 2018 available around 10-17, if you order by 8-17. Diesel approx., 4-18. Nobody knows for sure at this point.
Question for you >>> what other FORD's are using the 3.0L Diesel right now? I do know that the 3.0L Diesel is a Range Rover product... and has been used in Range Rovers for a few years now.

Last edited by BIKERDEANO; 03-28-2017 at 03:50 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:08 PM
PPPPPuppy Power

Received 887 Likes on 653 Posts

If you are going to keep it a long time, and your current truck is solid, I'd wait for the 18.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo
If you are going to keep it a long time, and your current truck is solid, I'd wait for the 18.
Aside from the 10 speed transmission and new 5.0L engine, is there any particular reason you think I should wait?
Old 03-27-2017, 10:02 PM
PPPPPuppy Power

Received 887 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by ckrackerjack
Aside from the 10 speed transmission and new 5.0L engine, is there any particular reason you think I should wait?
Nope. But you may as well get the current body style. You can order '18s soon and it won't be a super long wait.

That said, the '17s will get cheaper this fall and your option list isn't anything exotic which means you could find one once the deals hit.

Is it worth it to you to boot 2-4 grand more for the 18? Maybe more?

The other side is there is always something newer and greater coming, so why not just go get what's current and call it a day.

I'm no help. Ha.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:14 PM
I'm from Canada, eh?

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Better Stereo, nicer looking Grill, F150 stamp in the Tail-gate, forced Auto stop/start, 10 speed no matter what you buy for engine... are all good (except the Auto stop/start) for me.

Last edited by BIKERDEANO; 03-28-2017 at 03:49 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:17 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Originally Posted by ckrackerjack
Thanks for the replies so far.

idrive, do you have any links or references regarding your statement about the diesel? A quick google search doesn't come up with any useful information. Which vehicle(s) is this engine currently being used in?.
[QUOTE=BIKERDEANO;5248828]Question for you >>> what other FORD's are using the 3.0L Diesel right now? I do know that the 3.0L Diesel is a Range Rover product... and has been used in Range Rovers for a few years now.QUOTE]

My apologies. Not sure why I said Ford was using the engine in vehicles they currently build. Meant to say the motors are being used in production already. What I should have said was:

The “new” turbodiesel engine coming next year in the F-150 is already available in the U.S. in two vehicles, the Range Rover and Range Rover Sport.
One lingering tie between Ford and Land Rover is powertrain. When Ford sold Land Rover and Jaguar to Tata Motors in 2008, the new company, Jaguar Land Rover, relied on Ford for all its engines.
Many of those old connections are now broken since JLR opened its new engine plant in late 2015 and began producing its own Ingenium inline four-cylinder diesel and gasoline engines. But Ford still provides V-6 and V-8 gasoline and diesel engines, including the 3.0-liter Lion V-6 slated for the F-150.
So, here’s what we know about the upcoming F-150 diesel engine: In the Range Rover Sport, the 3.0-liter Lion V-6 develops 254 hp and 440 pounds-feet of torque. That places it slightly above the Ram 1500’s 3.0-liter EcoDiesel, which generates 240 hp and 420 pounds-feet of torque.
Ford will likely tune the engine differently for the F-150, and that might have a slight effect on power output. One of the chief gripes of Ford’s EcoBoost gasoline engines has been that fuel economy dips dramatically when the vehicle is used to tow heavy loads. The 3.0-liter diesel engine should address that concern.
F-150 vs. Ram
Ford is gunning for fuel economy leadership in the pickup segment and has a great shot of knocking off the diesel Ram’s industry best (for a full-size pickup) 29 mpg on the highway.
The Range Rover Sport, using an eight-speed automatic transmission that drives all four wheels, delivers 32 percent higher overall fuel economy than the gasoline engine also available, an EPA rated 28 mpg highway.
The F-150 diesel, I think, should easily beat the Ram’s 29 mpg.
Here’s why: Ford is mating the diesel engine to a 10-speed automatic, which could boost fuel economy by about 6 percent. The vehicle will have stop-start, which will help improve fuel economy slightly in city driving. And likely rear-wheel-drive only models of the F-150 will be available, further boosting fuel economy.
The Range Rover Sport weighs 4,709 pounds, while the F-150 checks in at between 4,049 pounds and 5,236 pounds, depending on models and options. Both F-150 and Range Rover are likely pretty close aerodynamically.
Why now?
You might wonder why it took Ford so long to add a diesel to the F-150. First of all, it makes more sense now than ever -- despite the Volkswagen diesel scandal. For one thing, the 3.0-liter engine is made in England. After British voters decided in June to leave the European Union, the British pound has dropped from about $1.55 to $1.22 today. That makes importing the engine more affordable.
Also, since Land Rover already spent the money to federalize the engine for emissions compliance, Ford may well have access to that data, saving time and money. At the Detroit auto show this week, I hope to speak with Ford’s powertrain executives and learn more about how the decision was made to add the 3.0-liter engine to the F-150.
And then there is the competitive pressure. Ram upstaged Ford when it snatched the fuel economy crown by installing a diesel engine. Ford, instead, spent billions to convert from steel to aluminum bodies to save weight. And then GM launched a diesel in the hot selling Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon midsize pickups and became the first pickups to earn an EPA rating of more than 30 mpg -- they both have a 31 mpg rating.
So it all adds up to this: With the F-150's diesel engine, lightweight aluminum body and 10-speed automatic, Ford looks poised to own the pickup fuel economy crown. But there is a downside in that the truck will likely be fairly expensive. Its emissions system, which uses SCR and other after-treatment devices, adds a lot of cost to the truck, perhaps $10,000 or more.
Still, Ford F-150 fans have been clamoring for a small diesel for more than a decade. Fourteen years ago, Ford was poised to use a 4.5-liter diesel in the F-150, but cancelled it, citing cost and changing emissions rules that would have required a quick re-engineering job.

The following 2 users liked this post by idrive:
BIKERDEANO (03-28-2017), F150Enthusiast (09-19-2017)