General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bug shield advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 05:18 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Bug shield advice?

So I've been looking around at bug shields, narrowed down to about 2, the autoventshade and the weathertech. Anyone got one of these and I want one that requires no drilling. These look similar in style, price, and install, but not sure if there's anything that sets them apart.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-04-2013, 06:53 AM

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

I went with the OEM one . I really like it. No drilling required
Old 10-04-2013, 07:26 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bobo06
+1 here. Haven' put it on yet though.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by bobo06
Price of it? Would they still have one for my 08?
Old 10-04-2013, 10:54 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by muffins
So I've been looking around at bug shields, narrowed down to about 2, the autoventshade and the weathertech. Anyone got one of these and I want one that requires no drilling. These look similar in style, price, and install, but not sure if there's anything that sets them apart.

Any suggestions?
Where's Minnesnowta ?? and do they have a lot of bugs ??
Old 10-04-2013, 11:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bugs in Minnesota would be an understatement. The official state bird is the mosquito. Dang things need FAA registration numbers and Air Traffic Control clearance.

Certain parts of the year, I would imagine that the Minnesotans need the love bug screens that they use in Florida.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:45 PM

Received 187 Likes on 155 Posts

The deflector isn't going to do much for bugs. If you can afford it, I'd suggest going with a clear bra all around the front.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by terraformer
The deflector isn't going to do much for bugs. If you can afford it, I'd suggest going with a clear bra all around the front.
How do these install?

And yeah bugs are pretty bad, but I heard it protects from little pebbles too. My vehicle before this was a car and I was driving through St. Paul one day and a rock flew up and chipped the bottom of the windshield. Well eventually I hit a pothole (also common in my state) and it spider webbed across the bottom. If a $50 piece of plastic prevents that then I'll invest in it

I was thinking today and remembered my grill is connected to the actual hood, how different is the install going to be then? I watched the install videos but it was on a Chevy and obviously their hoods are different from ours...

Also was just calling it a bug shield because I didn't know what else to call it lol
Old 10-05-2013, 08:30 AM

Received 187 Likes on 155 Posts

Yes, the clear shield or bra is the way to go if you want to protect your paint. Typically these are installed custom by a local car dealer or private entity who does it. Google "3M clear bra install" or "Xpel clear bra install" for a local option.

I lived in MSP for five years before Des Moines, and bought my truck here. And before that, Florida, where we know a thing or two about mosquitoes as well. Since my install in February of this year, I see several places where the bra protected the paint from rocks in particular, and it makes it easier to remove bugs. The local Lexus dealer who did the install also has a lifetime warranty on anything that goes through the film - I actually will be going in sometime soon to have them replace the headlight film and maybe the bumper too as it looks like some nasty rocks damaged it.

You can do it yourself but it does require some skill. I opted to go with a professional installation, which has the film covering all painted surfaces on the front, the side mirrors (I have an FX4 w/painted mirror caps), 20" from the front of the hood, and they also put some film along the trailing edge of each door for if I were to open into something to help protect it. Cost me about a grand, but you can probably find much cheaper.

Good luck!
Old 10-05-2013, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by terraformer
Yes, the clear shield or bra is the way to go if you want to protect your paint. Typically these are installed custom by a local car dealer or private entity who does it. Google "3M clear bra install" or "Xpel clear bra install" for a local option.

I lived in MSP for five years before Des Moines, and bought my truck here. And before that, Florida, where we know a thing or two about mosquitoes as well. Since my install in February of this year, I see several places where the bra protected the paint from rocks in particular, and it makes it easier to remove bugs. The local Lexus dealer who did the install also has a lifetime warranty on anything that goes through the film - I actually will be going in sometime soon to have them replace the headlight film and maybe the bumper too as it looks like some nasty rocks damaged it.

You can do it yourself but it does require some skill. I opted to go with a professional installation, which has the film covering all painted surfaces on the front, the side mirrors (I have an FX4 w/painted mirror caps), 20" from the front of the hood, and they also put some film along the trailing edge of each door for if I were to open into something to help protect it. Cost me about a grand, but you can probably find much cheaper.

Good luck!
I think my uncle in law was mentioning something about this once, he was suggesting I do some sort of 3M film thing and I am willing to be its what you're mentioning now. Told me to get that over the bug shield

However that does sound really protective but I cannot afford that right now, working my first "career" job after college and got bills stacking up, therefore my "mods" are very small and minor things at the moment, like mud flaps and maybe a little bit of plastidip

Quick Reply: Bug shield advice?