General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broke my RH side Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 12:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default broke my RH side Mirror

Backing into the garage and heard the crunch, was watching but not close enough! The mirror is fine, but the turn signal, and the black surround is cracked, and broke. Can you buy just the surround, and the turn signal parts? It also looks like the motor part might have been broke where it joins up to the back of the mirror.
has anyone here replaced their mirror? how hard was it to do?
Does anyone here have one, maybe they replaced their stock with a tow mirror?? Any help would be great, Thanks, Ron
Old 04-15-2013, 04:01 PM
TTV6>V8

Received 280 Likes on 194 Posts

You sir, sound like you're gonna need a whole new mirror assembly. I had to replace my driver side mirror on my 2010. The install isn't very hard, you can find a how-to on Youtube.
The following users liked this post:
macmanron (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 04:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Only the top plastic cover is seperate from the mirror assembly, you sound like you will need the whole thing. They are easy to replace yourself if you have the tools, they are only held on with 3 nuts. The truck is accessing the nuts, for that you have to remove your inner trim panel from the door. The trim panel is held on with a combo of clips and screws. You have to undo the screws first, ( If I remember correctly there are 3, look around the edges including the bottom, by the inner door handle, and inside the handle grab) once you get those out you just use a long screw driver, ( or a clip pulling tool if you have one) to get between the trim panel and the door. Using the screwdriver find the push clips around the edges of the trim panel and pop them out using the leverage provided by the screwdriver. Once you release all of the clips, you will basically have the panel loose, (it will still be attached by the wires connecting the auto locks and windows, just unclip those). This should give you access to the 3 nuts holding the mirror on.

In the end, if it is too much for you, any body shop should do it for you for $50 or less. Service shops will also put them on, but their hourly rate is higher, causing your cost to be higher.
The following users liked this post:
macmanron (04-15-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 04:08 PM

is there any difference in the mirrors other than power/heat/blinker/ and colors???? 2009-2012???
I see some used on ebay, and was thinking they look the same, just need to swap over my puddle light on them. Also, what do you think of the tow mirrors as an option???
$432.+ seems high for a brand new one? when i can buy the tow mirrors pair for 302.+
Old 04-16-2013, 10:15 PM

Tow mirrors are an option if you have use for them or like the bigger mirror. It would not be easy to swap over the puddle light on a mirror, you would be getting into some pretty heavy fabrication to do it. The color doesn't really matter since they are all black, the painted part is the top cover. It is a seperate part if you are purchasing a brand new one from a dealership, just to be aware. If yours is not broken it can be transferred to the new mirror you purchase.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:13 PM

Exclamation

Trying to decipher the numbers off the backs of the mirrors to see what the difference is between them all. Here is mine:

MY 2012 FX 4: date coded 2011 BL3Z-17682-FAPTM

one I'm looking at on ebay

Ebay mirror Lariet model date coded 2012 BL34-17682-FD5APF

both are heated, auto-dim, power, puddle lamp, turn signal, the only difference I can see is the color of the cap(silver vs dk. grey)
I want to make sure I'm buying the correct one.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:34 PM
TTV6>V8

Received 280 Likes on 194 Posts

If your PTM mirror tops didn't break you can buy the lariat top with Crome and swap out your painted top and be all good. Just make sure it has all the functions your mirror has and you'll be good.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by macmanron
Trying to decipher the numbers off the backs of the mirrors to see what the difference is between them all. Here is mine:

MY 2012 FX 4: date coded 2011 BL3Z-17682-FAPTM

one I'm looking at on ebay

Ebay mirror Lariet model date coded 2012 BL34-17682-FD5APF

both are heated, auto-dim, power, puddle lamp, turn signal, the only difference I can see is the color of the cap(silver vs dk. grey)
I want to make sure I'm buying the correct one.
Those are the OEM part numbers, they are different because they obviously go on differen model F-150's. The biggest issue for you is to make sure they have the exact same power options, and it seems you have. If those are the same, the mirror should mount up just fine. You can change the cover to make it match, so that is really not as important.

Quick Reply: broke my RH side Mirror