Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Question

Hey all,

I am new to this Forum so forgive me if I am asking such a rookie question. I have a 2006 Ford F150 SuperCab and their is a noise that is coming from the rear when I brake and when I am coasting at 5-10 mph. There is a grinding noise when I am braking and come to a complete stop which I assume the brake pads are needing to be replaced. There is a rattling/ticking noise when I am coasting or coasting to a stop which is the noise I am concerned with since it occurs even without the brakes applied. Just wondering if anyone had any insight on these noises. I am just starting to question that these two noises are two seperate problems but I could be wrong..I have no professional experience with trucks.

From research that I have done, some say that there are brake tabs that cause the rattling or ticking noise when the brake pads are low as a warning.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Michael
Old 04-11-2011, 02:57 PM
I luvs my trucks

I have a 2006 too. I have had no probs with the brakes making noise. It sounds like you are right about the indicators making the noise. Check the pads, especially the one on the cylinder side of the caliper, they tend to wear faster than the others. I do have a question for you though. Does your brake pedal seem soft to you? Mine seems to be soft and I can pump it up like I was bleeding the brakes. The dealer said it was normal but I don't buy that.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:00 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the 2 noises are related. A rattling noise while coasting and a grinding noise while braking. I would bet that whatever is rattling around is also contributing to the grinding noise.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:02 PM

RSnake460, my brake pedal would probably be considered soft. I can get pretty close to the floor when braking in certain situations.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by dewman
I think the 2 noises are related. A rattling noise while coasting and a grinding noise while braking. I would bet that whatever is rattling around is also contributing to the grinding noise.
I agree...install new brake pads, and make sure that your calibers are good...then take out for a test drive to see if you still get that rattling noise.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:25 PM
I luvs my trucks

Originally Posted by Savage7504
RSnake460, my brake pedal would probably be considered soft. I can get pretty close to the floor when braking in certain situations.
Cool, that's kinda how mine is. It seems better at certain times. I took it in to have the dealer bleed the brakes and it felt a little better. I have just gotten in the habit of pumping my pedal to get a better feel. My '96 4wd has a very firm pedal so maybe that's why my '06 feels so different. At least they seem to work well.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:31 PM
TSR Motorsports

how many miles do you have since the last brake job?

the grinding and/or rattling could be from the brake pads if they are wearing down or if the anti-rattle clips have become loose. take a quick look at your brake pads to see how much material is left.

Quick Reply: Brake Question