General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best mpg fuel brand

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 09:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default best mpg fuel brand

I'm looking into what stations gas is going to get me the most for my dollar. we have a 2 bps to cenex stations and a caseys one cenex and one bp have blender pumps.

i recently switched to e30 at cenex blender pump from caseys 87, (i work in the ethanol industry) but surprisingly enough i noticed an extra 30-40 miles per tank on e30.

any input is appreciated
thanks
Old 05-09-2013, 02:49 AM

anyone?
Old 05-09-2013, 06:24 AM
Here, hold my beer...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally run non-blended whenever possible because I like pure gasoline. There are a few threads already started on this topic that you may find beneficial. Some say that E10 will give you an increased level of performance at the slight cost of MPG.

As far as one brand of gasoline in example Shell vs. BP ect., I don't know. From what I understand, they all have certain regulations and standards they must follow, and primarily, the only difference is the detergents they use in their gas that separates the brands from one another. Another member here may correct me if I'm wrong.

If you're looking for the most gas for your money, I would like to recommend the Gas Buddy app. It is a user based app that tracks the current cost of gasoline in your area. Completely free, and is very beneficial. Give it a go.
The following users liked this post:
colevig (05-09-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 08:40 AM

Thanks ill try it out
Old 05-09-2013, 12:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've always liked shell gas... I've tried several others in my area and in my head It seems shell delivers both mileage and performance... I have ran a few tanks of ethanol free gas and that by far is the best in both category's but I have to travel out of my way to get it.. So I've always ran shell 89.. And since new my trucks average is about 17+ mpgs..
Old 05-09-2013, 02:11 PM

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Here's some other info that may help or be of interest.

www.toptiergas.com/
Old 05-09-2013, 03:30 PM

We just don't have shell anywhere near here
Old 05-09-2013, 03:46 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Azuri
Here's some other info that may help or be of interest.

www.toptiergas.com/

I wish topiergas had a date somewhere on it. I haven't seen any changes to that site in years.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:43 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Look at it this way. Ethanol is an octane booster, so if you are adding ethanol you can make crappier gasoline, like you might make 85 octane and boost it to 87 with ethanol.

If you want really high performance and build the motor of r that purpose, pure ethanol is better for performacne becaue you can use higher compression.

Ethanol has a lower heating value than gasoline, (about 1/3 less) and yu engine runs on heat, less heat gives less power, for the same VOLUME burned .

The proponents of ethanol like to claim it reduces carbon emissions but our government will not tell which study they believe. Pimental from Cornel University showed how it actually increases carbon emissions.

I have it from one politician that ethanol is actually intended as an indirect subsidy to farmers.

Would I buy it if I had a choice? Certainly not at the same price.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:02 PM

i wouldn't buy at the same price either but here e30 runs 20-25 cents cheaper a gallon and so far i haven't noticed anything negative but i am still getting better gas mileage than running regular 87 from casey. im a production engineer at our ethanol plant here in town so i know all about the studies and the fact is that ethanol is many times better for the environment especially in terms of creating it and waste. but if i was really concerned about the environment i wouldn't be driving what i am ha! but your right it is mainly a subsidy for farmers/america. keeping more corn and money in the US and buying less foreign oil.

Quick Reply: best mpg fuel brand