General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bed lined nerf bars

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bed lined nerf bars

Anyone done it? Please post pics if you have them. I would also like any recommendations as far as what brand liner to use, and what the pro's and cons, of liner verses re paint, are. Mine are just covered in surface rust, and I just don't have the time now to do the prep for a nice glossy black, or even a smooth flat, finish. I have been so tempted to spray them as they are, but I don't want to have to do this again anytime soon, and I want it to at least look decent. Any help is always appreciated.

Last edited by crackerbear; 01-23-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:48 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

I tried spray on truck bed liner...scuffed and wiped down...did not prime...did not work out ...it bubbled and cracked...removed it and tried again....no love...they look like crap...was going to remove it all and just paint....wife bought me some NFAB step bars for christmas...the old one's are laying on the side of the house now...it seemed like it did not like to bond between the plastic and the metal... good luck.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:10 PM

Hmmm. You would think that if it adheres to the body, it would adhere to the metal bars. One shop offered new 4 inch bars for $280 installed, but I just can't afford that. I'm just tired of looking at that rust, which looks even worse now because I got ambitious for about 10 minutes and took a wire brush to them, to try to knock off alot of the scale. So now instead of black and rusted, they are all dusty rust colored.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I sprayed mine with Bed Armor and I love it. I will post pictures when I get on my computer in a few hours. Looks great so far.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by crackerbear
Anyone done it? Please post pics if you have them. I would also like any recommendations as far as what brand liner to use, and what the pro's and cons, of liner verses re paint, are. Mine are just covered in surface rust, and I just don't have the time now to do the prep for a nice glossy black, or even a smooth flat, finish. I have been so tempted to spray them as they are, but I don't want to have to do this again anytime soon, and I want it to at least look decent. Any help is always appreciated.
Here is how it turned out on my truck

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/painted...-happy-187689/

Last edited by MXpro982; 01-23-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:22 PM

The following users liked this post:
crackerbear (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 11:26 PM

Wow, those do look good. I like the finer texture of the Bed Armor as opposed to Rhino Liner. I read your post on the prepwork. Any idea if I should lay down a couple of coats of self etching primer first to help cover the rust?
Old 01-23-2013, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by crackerbear
Wow, those do look good. I like the finer texture of the Bed Armor as opposed to Rhino Liner. I read your post on the prepwork. Any idea if I should lay down a couple of coats of self etching primer first to help cover the rust?
I am sure you could! I was surprised how easy it was to spray. I would definitely recommend heating up the nerf bars with a hair dryer or just take them off the truck and leave them in your house for a little while before you spray (unless it isn't cold where you are). I literally sprayed my nerf bars while it was in the 30s and made it work with the hair dryer. One can will probably do both nerf bars, but to be safe you could get two. I would plan on probably putting down 2-3 coats.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:03 AM

Thank you so much for the comments. Seems like I could have this done in a day. I have been dreading all the sanding that would be needed to produce a smooth finish on these things, and that's even in the sanding would be enough. I believe the liner is a little more forgiving.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:15 AM

No problem! I just lightly scratched mine up. It didn't take long to spray but it does take like 24hrs to be completely dry. But to the touch it takes like 2 hours. So you would want to spray them and then just put them back on the following day to be safe.

Quick Reply: bed lined nerf bars