General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Start and Stop - Starts early

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Start and Stop - Starts early

Tried searching, and it seemed like the majority threads were 'I hate this' or how to turn off.
I read the instructions/info in the owners manual. It sure would be nice if the system would tell you something when it restarts automatically instead of me lifting the brake when the light goes green. I like the system. I like the system, and my in town MPG is in the low to mid 19s (my 2014 Explorer Sport was a standard 16.5 mainly due to the AWD).

My issue is that often more than half the time it restarts the engine within about 20-30 seconds - so I sit there for another minute or so with the engine running. Irritates me to no end...
Info: My new to me 2018 XLT has manual climate control, is 1 year in service with just under 18000 miles. The outside temps have been 60s-70s here in Orlando So I don't the early restart is due to temp differential. This is happening without regard to night or day and after turning of DRL in the cluster, and the only accessory is my Iphone - so I would expect battery management shouldn't be doing this.
Anyone else dealing with this? Should I bring it up with the dealer on my 20K maintenance event?
Old 12-30-2019, 02:28 PM

Received 109 Likes on 78 Posts

There are many variables that can trigger a restart, so it would just be a guess as to which one comes into play each time. I would say that what you are experiencing is normal. Mine will not stay off indefinitely and will sometimes restart at a red light. You can turn off the climate control and see if that makes a difference.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,222 Likes on 2,877 Posts

Originally Posted by dahead
Tried searching, and it seemed like the majority threads were 'I hate this' or how to turn off.
I read the instructions/info in the owners manual. It sure would be nice if the system would tell you something when it restarts automatically instead of me lifting the brake when the light goes green. I like the system. I like the system, and my in town MPG is in the low to mid 19s (my 2014 Explorer Sport was a standard 16.5 mainly due to the AWD).

My issue is that often more than half the time it restarts the engine within about 20-30 seconds - so I sit there for another minute or so with the engine running. Irritates me to no end...
Info: My new to me 2018 XLT has manual climate control, is 1 year in service with just under 18000 miles. The outside temps have been 60s-70s here in Orlando So I don't the early restart is due to temp differential. This is happening without regard to night or day and after turning of DRL in the cluster, and the only accessory is my Iphone - so I would expect battery management shouldn't be doing this.
Anyone else dealing with this? Should I bring it up with the dealer on my 20K maintenance event?
in your fuel economy scree, scroll all the way to the last menu. That is you start/stop status. That will tell you why it restarted
The following 2 users liked this post by djfllmn:
Martinjmpr (12-30-2019), NASSTY (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djfllmn
in your fuel economy scree, scroll all the way to the last menu. That is you start/stop status. That will tell you why it restarted
Thanks!
Old 12-30-2019, 05:21 PM
Metalhead

Received 381 Likes on 164 Posts

Are you keeping the same pressure on the brake pedal the whole time? I've noticed with mine, if when coming to the stop I use more pressure and it shuts off, but then once stopped and just sitting there, it doesn't require as much pressure to keep the truck stopped. So if lightening brake pressure and still keeping the truck stopped, COULD make it think that you are starting to go and turn the truck back on...?

Quick Reply: Auto Start and Stop - Starts early