General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

And another broken sunroof frame/brackets

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default And another broken sunroof frame/brackets

Add me to the list of Ford trucks with a broken sunroof frame. I open it yesterday and heard the popping/breaking sound of some sort of plastic part. Tried to close it and it would only go a couple of inches then retract back. I had to pull on the glass a little bit while trying to close it for the glass to fully close. I don't use it very often but I guess it doesn't take much to break plastic parts that move....that should have been made out of either steel or aluminum. Maybe they are made out of plastic for a reason. I have had the driver seat rail replaced already because of grinding/binding when sliding forward and back. The second frame has started doing the same thing so I turned off the easy entry/exit feature so the seat wouldn't move unless I manually move it. Another feature I paid for that I can't use.

I did a search and it didn't take long to see that I am only one of many that has had this problem. 2010 Lariat. $40K plus and I have had numerous problems. A few of the major ones being a backup camera replacement, two steering column replacements with only one occurring under warranty and now the sunroof. From what I have read, this will be a repair in the neighborhood of $1600 - $2000.....if the dealer does it. I have it closed right now and will not open it again until I get it to the dealer for repair....or trade-in for another brand of truck.

This was my first Ford....and I really like the truck....except when it is broke and in the shop...which has been much more than it should have been when all the other smaller problems are added in to the mix. The fact that I do like the truck makes it that much more aggravating to have so many problems.

Sorry for the long rant, just needed to vent some Ford frustration......
The following users liked this post:
Bada1908” (10-01-2023)
Old 06-17-2014, 09:14 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

if you're any good with a wrench go to http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/ for tracks.. it'll cost you less than 200 to fix yourself.. it's a little bit of work and you'll cuss a little but you'll save over a grand.. I think the dealer wanted 1200-ish here, but it's because they replace the whole unit, with sunroof dr you replace the plastic parts.. I did mine a couple months ago..

edit: go to "sunroof parts" on that page and select your vehicle..
Old 06-17-2014, 01:10 PM

Thanks GHill672.

I have the mechanical ability to handle it...I believe, but not the time. Too much going on at one time and I need the truck to get everything done. I am sure it could have happened at a worse time but not too much worse. My main concern is that it has enough of a seal so that it doesn't leak during a rain storm as it will be a week or so before I can slow down to enough to figure out what I need to do.

I will go to the link in your post and take a look. Hopefully they include the installation instructions with the parts that show how to remove the head-liner. At this point I am making the assumption it is broken parts as I have been unable to find anything broken yet but I only spent about 20 minutes with it last night before I was pissed and left it alone once I got it to close.

Thanks.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:21 PM

I checked out the Sunroof Doctor website. They say instructions included but I am wondering if this is only the instructions for the parts themselves or full instructions to remove the headliner and all? I emailed them so I shall see.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:40 PM

It's only instructions for the track.. And it's not the best instructions. But the parts are quality and complete install time for me was about 4 hours with the help of my dad..
Old 06-17-2014, 02:02 PM

the only special tool it's going to require is a rivet gun (like $20 at home depot).. and a large torx head for the seat belts which I didn't have but you may.. otherwise it was pretty simple.. depending on what cab you have it may or may not be difficult to get the headliner out.. mine was pretty easy since I drive a SCab, swing both doors open and it came right out..

that said, when you get about half way done you're going to think you're in over your head, then all of the sudden everything falls into place and it goes back together really easily..
GoodVibes (03-12-2024)
Old 06-17-2014, 02:12 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

The repair took myself and another person about 3 hours. The most difficult part was lowering the headliner. Had to find out how everything came apart. Then we just laid the headliner on top of the seats to do the rest of the job.
The directions from sunroofdr are good but only apply to that part of the job. To find out how to lower the headliner, do your research before you start the job.
Here's a link with some more info:
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/moonroof-issues-223376/
GHill762 (06-17-2014)

Trending Topics

Old 06-18-2014, 07:21 AM

I found out that the local Ford dealer uses a headliner and sunroof shop for all of their repairs. Since I am out of warranty, they told me to go to the shop instead of through Ford service. Turns out that it will be a $450 repair. He shop owner said he sees 1 to 2 late model Ford sunroof repairs a week. He had one in when I called. I believe $450 is a reasonable price compared to the $1500 plus that others are being quoted by Ford dealers. I'll be dropping mine off to him in the next day or two.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:24 AM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

That's a little easier to handle as compared to the Ford shop prices.
I'd bet he uses sunroof dr parts and does not do the total replacement like Ford does.
No reason for the total replacement as the small broken struts are the only issue.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:22 AM

I could swallow 450... that's not bad.. but yeah I'd put money on him using sunroof dr parts as well, I think the parts alone from the dealer (basically the whole unit) was quoted to me at around $800-900 IIRC..

Quick Reply: And another broken sunroof frame/brackets