General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amtrak Auto Train Warning

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 06:32 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Amtrak Auto Train Warning

I went to Daytona Bike Week this last March. I loaded my HD full dresser onto a Powerdecks.com hydraulic lift platform and headed for Va. Where I put my 2011 F-150 onto the auto train for the trip to Fl. Two things I'd like to warn the Forum about... The first has to do with fitting the F-150 onto the auto train... When the truck is equipped with a hydraulic lift such as the one I have, it raises the overall height of the truck and bike to where it exceeds the maximum height restriction of the train, requiring the bike be removed from the truck and transported seperately, on the same train. This will cost extra as you are now transporting two vehicles. So be aware of this if you use a lift that raises the cargo (in my case the bike) bed by a foot or better. (The hydraulics ram and compressor need to be nested underneath the platform, causing the additional height). I knew I would need to remove the bike from the truck when I got to the train station, and pay for two vehicles instead of just one if the bike fit while on the truck, but what I didn't know was that Amtrac is required to charge for an additional passenger ticket due to a contractural agreement with the owners of the tracks, which they don't own. So either I load the bike back on my truck and drive to Fl or pony up the additional $324 round trip fee for an extra passenger fare. Like a fool, I had to ride on the train so I paid it, with strong objection. (I complained to Amtrak when I returned home and got a refund but only after someone persistently appealed my complaint on my behalf. So if you are thinking of using that train, and have a bike lift like mine, be forewarned. The train ride was nothing to write home about either, and I would NEVER do it again. I also nested to add a set of air suspension bags to the rear of my F-150 as the total weight of the bike and lift was around 1300 lbs added weight. I didn't get an F-250 as didn't think I would need it for the few trips I go on with the bike-instead adding something that I could adjust with an air pump instead of installing additional leaf springs which would give me a stiffer ride when the bed was empty.

Bill
Old 06-15-2014, 03:07 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The only reason I read this post is cause I work for the railroad. (Not amtrak). I wish I had that time back.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:28 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Of course they are going to charge you for another fare, if they didn't people may just start using Amtrak to ship a vehicle without themselves as it would be cheaper than other means. Amtrak pays fees to use the host railroad, and that fee doesn't usually change based on passenger count.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:47 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Very unique circumstances!

A full dresser is a Harley Davidson with full fairing, hard saddle bags, and hard trunk. It's the biggest and heaviest bike the sell.

I assume OP is a senior hence not wanting to drive so far and had to take train.

The lift is like a tommy lift, it comes out of bed and lowers, you ride onto it and then it lifts and slides back into bed.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:48 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Alright... I get the fact that I picked on the wrong forum. A full dresser or "Bagger" is a motorcycle with saddlebags and/or a travel pack. My Harley Davidson Ultra Classic is a "full Dresser". Sorry for the confusion. The reason for putting a perfectly good motorcycle on a pickup truck, and then putting all of it on a train is the auto train does not run from Ct to Fl. It only runs from Va. to Fl. Since I live in Ct., I had to get to Va. It was March and below freezing when I left Ct. and found it as cold in Va. That's why the auto train sounded like a good idea. I'm retired and find diving long distances are not my thing anymore. I am rapidly turning into one of those old pokey drivers who I swore I wouldn't become when I was younger and to that end, get out of the way when I can.

And I am sure the vast majority of forum readers knows exactly what I was relating. That makes those of you who find fault with me because you don't know what I was writing about, appear as though you are all leading a very sheltered life. It's not my fault you don't know about motorcycles and what pickup trucks in relation, are used for. Ya really ought to get out more.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:21 AM

Received 168 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by n1chu
Alright... I get the fact that I picked on the wrong forum. A full dresser or "Bagger" is a motorcycle with saddlebags and/or a travel pack. My Harley Davidson Ultra Classic is a "full Dresser". Sorry for the confusion. The reason for putting a perfectly good motorcycle on a pickup truck, and then putting all of it on a train is the auto train does not run from Ct to Fl. It only runs from Va. to Fl. Since I live in Ct., I had to get to Va. It was March and below freezing when I left Ct. and found it as cold in Va. That's why the auto train sounded like a good idea. I'm retired and find diving long distances are not my thing anymore. I am rapidly turning into one of those old pokey drivers who I swore I wouldn't become when I was younger and to that end, get out of the way when I can.

And I am sure the vast majority of forum readers knows exactly what I was relating. That makes those of you who find fault with me because you don't know what I was writing about, appear as though you are all leading a very sheltered life. It's not my fault you don't know about motorcycles and what pickup trucks in relation, are used for. Ya really ought to get out more.

Just what I thought.

Kudos to you for going to bike week at your age. .

Apparently you went alone or you wouldn't have had to buy another ticket for the bike.

Hope you "hooked up" while you were there. .

Quick Reply: Amtrak Auto Train Warning