General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice buying high mileage 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 01:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Advice buying high mileage 5.4

I previously owed a 99 f 150 2wd drive standard. I loved it and now I'm looking to upgrade. My dad has a car lot and has a 03 f150 supercrew, 4x4 with the 5.4. Really clean looking truck. He brought it to the mechanic and had it gone threw everything is fine and has 4 brand new tires put on. The only thing that has me skeptical is it has 235k. I can buy it for 3500 plus tax. I hear the 5.4 are bulletproof. I'm wondering if it is worth it or if I should wait for something better. I'm really eager to get a nice truck like that. But I also don't want to sacrifice on reliability. I'm always on this site reading, and there seems to be a lot of knowledgable people. So I decided to finally sign up and get some advice.
Btw what's the gas mileage like haha?
Old 11-01-2012, 06:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 5.4L was built to provide over 300k miles before anything needed replacement. The thing that usually takes out the motors is lack of oil changes. The timing chains, tensioners, and guides are what goes bad most often. if they are worn, it's not a big deal to replace them. The only problem is you have to pull the front cover to check them. Remove the valve covers, is there any sludge buildup? If so, pass on the deal. If it looks clean, I say go for it!

My 2001 get 12-14 mpg average, and I drive it like a rally car. It's only 2wd though, but it has 4:10 gears. YMMV.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:48 PM
One Bad MoFoMoCo Owner

Received 394 Likes on 259 Posts

The really big problem with this engine was the two piece plugs they banged with from the factory, and that they are notorious for breaking off when rewriting to pull them. So, if it's already had the plugs replaced, your good.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:01 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sullyman
The really big problem with this engine was the two piece plugs they banged with from the factory, and that they are notorious for breaking off when rewriting to pull them. So, if it's already had the plugs replaced, your good.

This issue did not start till the '04 model year. Since this is a '03 it should have the 2 valve 5.4. Very good engine. I have a 5.4 3 valve with 219,000 on the clock it still runs great. I agree about pulling the valve covers. Also you might be able to see sludge if you shine a flashlight down the oil filler tube. If you see sludge just with the naked eye looking on the tube then pass. If it looks clean then pull one cover and take a look. That is my opinion.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sounds good but be careful

I only got 210k out of my 2001 5.4, but that's because I let it massively overheat a year ago, and ran it without oil for a few minutes last spring (don't ask). I guess pulling my tractor out of my pond wasn't such a hot idea either.

235k is quite a few miles but the price sounds right. Wouldn't plan on doing much towing with an elderly engine. You should pass 300k if it's been taken care of.

Make sure the 4x4 system works before you buy; mine still spins all four, but I've had to have the posi fixed in both axles in the past.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:45 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

For that price you could throw a new engine in it and be around the price of one with lower miles. My 02 5.4 has 199k on it and I wouldn't be scared to drive it anywhere. My brother had it before me and he's hell on a vehicle.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:50 PM

Received 94 Likes on 94 Posts

That's alot of mileage and to high priced your take a big chance by buying that truck
Old 11-02-2012, 01:05 PM

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

we had two 2v 5.4 f-250's in our fleet that passed the 450k mile range, and two that passed the 500k mile range they did have the oil changed once a month and were maintained like crazy.

Two of the 4 died due to the timing chain tensioner failing and causing them to jump time. the only other issue with was the main bearing ratteled like crazy.. lol

the other two got washed out into Galveston bay during hurricane Ike..

These were job trucks that had different people driving the crap out of them 7 days a week.. I wouldnt think twice about buying it as long as there is minial sludge in the valve covers you would be safe.

You can rent bore scopes from some auto part stores, take one with you and stick it in the oil fill hole...
Old 11-02-2012, 01:09 PM

Received 94 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by kelley350x
we had two 2v 5.4 f-250's in our fleet that passed the 450k mile range, and two that passed the 500k mile range they did have the oil changed once a month and were maintained like crazy.

Two of the 4 died due to the timing chain tensioner failing and causing them to jump time. the only other issue with was the main bearing ratteled like crazy.. lol

the other two got washed out into Galveston bay during hurricane Ike..

These were job trucks that had different people driving the crap out of them 7 days a week.. I wouldnt think twice about buying it as long as there is minial sludge in the valve covers you would be safe.

You can rent bore scopes from some auto part stores, take one with you and stick it in the oil fill hole...
Thats awesome but their no telling what this truck has gone threw in its 200k plus miles
Old 11-02-2012, 01:10 PM

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by garbill2003
Thats awesome but their no telling what this truck has gone threw in its 200k plus miles
yep, you re right.

Quick Reply: Advice buying high mileage 5.4