General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Blowing very very Cold!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 03:16 PM

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Thumbs up AC Blowing very very Cold!!

I posted this in the 2004-2008 Forum but thought it would be helpful to post this here as well.

I though some may be interested in this. I just got an old run around car to save some miles and gas on my truck. I took this lil car into a local mechanic to have the AC charged and checked as it was blowing cold but barely.

Anyway he did the proper steps, evacuated the old stuff and held a vacuum, found no leaks, and recharged with the proper oil and gas. System about froze me out! I was going to just try a can of 134a at the parts store, but that is NOT the correct way to do that. You really should evacuate to get all the old air water stuff out, and have a proper set of manifold gauges and the proper oil and proper gas level.

I have been thinking my ac was a tad weak in my F150 super crew. I did the insulation and heat tape on my line going to the evaporator. Helped but not all the way there.

When that car was in the shop I was talking with the mechanic about the new R134 a systems. He misses the R12 days... He said with that 134a the molecules are so small and pressures are much much higher that all the systems "leak" very slowly on most but still leak.

He was running a special at $50 for the service plus the gas. So at less then $100 I got my system evacuated, checked over, and recharged. My system was 8oz low! I asked him about that and he said that is very normal for a truck that is 8 yrs old. He stated that on the average he sees that the 134a will seep out about 1oz a year. It now blows so cold that I had to turn it down a fan speed!

Just for an example. Yesterday it was 98F here with a heat index of 111F Hot and humid. 2 weeks before it was about the same. 94F and 104 heat index. I noticed this is when my system would struggle. Not anymore! I had to turn it down to speed 2 on the fan. It was very cold. and that was with more heat and humidity!

My wife even asked me to turn it down yesterday as well. She said it was freezing her out!

So for those with a weak AC I would highly suggest getting your system checked out. I do not recommend just putting in more gas as you have no clue what the level is and oil and what else is in the system. Plus if you over pressurize or over fill you could cause big problems and big costs. My guy charged me under $100 bucks. A can of R134a with a cheepo gauge was $45 bucks alone. Just a local shop with a trusted guy. Call around get references you will find one in your area.

Now enjoy your really cold AC
Old 08-03-2014, 03:45 PM
2013 Tuxedo Black Limited

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

If your system was 8 oz. low you got a leak. Check around the hose fittings for any oil or black greasy film as that is where your leak is. Pulling a vacuum isn't necessary unless he opened up the system to replace a leaking "O" Ring or gasket. You would have gotten the same results if you dropped in the right amount of 134a yourself. Nothing special here. Oh, if you have oil and water in the refrigeration system you have other problems. Glad you got it sorted out and are happy.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:31 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Crab *****
If your system was 8 oz. low you got a leak.
His truck is 8 years old and the range of refrigerant loss per year is normal 1oz/yr, which by the way is a lot better than the older systems.

No leak per say but is considered normal, sort of like having to add air to your tires from time to time. Moisture in the system is not good which is why you evacuate it for a minimum of 30 mins, the vacuum boils off any moisture and what little bit left is absorbed by the desiccant in the accumulator, no oil in the system equals a locked up compressor every system requires a certain amount of a special oil, (not motor oil)

Last edited by RLXXI; 08-03-2014 at 04:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wolfy53 (08-04-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
His truck is 8 years old and the range of refrigerant loss per year is normal 1oz/yr, which by the way is a lot better than the older systems.
I can accept that due to the age of the vehicle.

No leak per say but is considered normal, sort of like having to add air to your tires from time to time. Moisture in the system is not good which is why you evacuate it for a minimum of 30 mins, the vacuum boils off any moisture and what little bit left is absorbed by the desiccant in the accumulator, no oil in the system equals a locked up compressor every system requires a certain amount of a special oil, (not motor oil).
I know a little bit HVAC so I have to say it would be very difficult for moisture to get into a charged (pressurized) system. Only way moisture is getting in is if he has a leak and the low side is pulling a vacuum. This would be highly unlikely as the low pressure cut-out would kick in and prevent the compressor from running. Of course the most likely cause for induced moisture is sloppy techs not making sure their hoses on the manifold set are free of non-compressible substances and other contaminants. But a healthy system that was untouched should never have moisture in it.
wolfy53 (08-04-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 06:36 PM

Received 1,000 Likes on 667 Posts

True. You all have to remember that the compressor is keeping the R-134 in the system by way of a compressor shaft seal.

There is no such thing as a "perfect" shaft seal. They all leak, because the seal wears when the shaft is rotating. Just some more than others.

Now if you could invent a shaft seal that will never leak, well...
The following 2 users liked this post by All Hat No Cattle:
RLXXI (08-03-2014), wolfy53 (08-04-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 07:12 PM

I know a little bit HVAC so I have to say it would be very difficult for moisture to get into a charged (pressurized) system. But a healthy system that was untouched should never have moisture in it.

Yes I am certified in hvac Ford and ASE my comment was mentioned because of what you stated...

Oh, if you have oil and water in the refrigeration system you have other problems.
wolfy53 (08-04-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by All Hat No Cattle
True. You all have to remember that the compressor is keeping the R-134 in the system by way of a compressor shaft seal.

There is no such thing as a "perfect" shaft seal. They all leak, because the seal wears when the shaft is rotating. Just some more than others.

Now if you could invent a shaft seal that will never leak, well...
Yep, I am aware of wear/failure points that you mention. The OP said the system was tested and no leaks were found. Of course we all know that no system is perfectly sealed and can leak on the molecular level. All I'm saying is giving the amount of freon that leaves a system over 8 years is normal than the system will not or shouldn't have any moisture in it due to the internal pressure, providing it was properly installed and maintained.

There really was no reason for the tech to pump down the system for the reasons given. Now if he did some work that required him to open the system than he should vacuum the system down below 500 microns. Now if he was concerned about leaks he can also pressurize the system with nitrogen and check his work and other common failure points.

Last edited by Crab Balls; 08-03-2014 at 09:37 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 08-03-2014, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Yes I am certified in hvac Ford and ASE my comment was mentioned because of what you stated...

I understand that, but I don't think the OP is as this answer was directed at him. And really, anyone working on these systems that has a clue as to what they are doing would be replacing parts that show signs of compromise. I'm just saying the tech did a lot of unnecessary work or is blowing smoke up someone's butt.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:41 PM

There really was no reason for the tech to pump down the system for the reasons given.
Over the last 30+ years I have been doing a/c work it is not uncommon at all to get hold of a system with air in it for what ever reason(s) yes even from the factory.

Evacuating the system removes that possibility from play when diagnosing a system, I can't remember how many times that air was the only reason for a system not operating properly that I personally have fixed with a simple evac and recharge. Apparently that was the case for the op's system.

wolfy53 (08-04-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 09:46 PM
Raptor Minion

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

Would it be worth doing this to a 2 year old truck if I'm feeling it's not cold enough?
bp31 (08-04-2014)

Quick Reply: AC Blowing very very Cold!!