General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 f150 starts but wont move

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 f150 starts but wont move

I recently had to replace my transmission because my bell housing cracked due to worn engine mounts I've since threw in a used tranny and new engine mounts as well as rebuilt the t case. Everything seemed to be running and operating perfectly for 2 days. On the second day I was on a high way that was 65 mph. I then took a right and slowed down to about 5mph to pull a California stop at a stop sigh. And when i went to accelerate again it wasnt moving. When this happened I did hear a whiring sound. Since then I've looked and inspected as well as researched stuff. So from my inspecting I noticed my t case has a tiny leak but still has plenty of fluid. Tranny fluid is at the correct level and nice and red. Engine oil is at right level as well as all other fluid under hood. I did notice fluid on the rear drive shaft and front of rear yoke. The truck starts fine but wont move in d, r ,1, or 2. At one point I did hear a noise from the t case but just once. I have notice grinding noises comming from the fly wheel area when turning engine off. But the flywheel looks fine. Also truck only starts in p or n position so the shift linkage appears to be working fine. But it rolls freely in and gear. So I'm just baffled engine start up perfectly but there no go go lol. Its 94 f150 xlt 5.0l engine with a bw 1356 t case and 4r70w 4 speed auto transmission. From all my research there are sighs of the following being problem. Bad transmission, drive shaft, torque converter, t case, flywheel, rear axle, and drive axle. Just wondering if anyones dealt with the same issue of truck not moving after slowing down.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:31 PM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

When you put the truck in gear and try to move, does it grind? Feels like it's in neutral? Have you tried putting it in 4wd? If the transfer case is leaking fluid you need to fix that. But I dont think that is causing your problems if in 2wd
Old 09-20-2020, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by DarrinT04
When you put the truck in gear and try to move, does it grind? Feels like it's in neutral? Have you tried putting it in 4wd? If the transfer case is leaking fluid you need to fix that. But I dont think that is causing your problems if in 2wd
no the engine just revs, it does feel like its in neutral , but if it was in neutral wouldnt the truck start in d, r ,1, and 2nd? . and yes I have put it in 4 wd and nothing changes in term of moving
Old 09-20-2020, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by DarrinT04
I think its the t case I removed it and if I spin the part that connect to tail end of the transmission or side that the rear drive shaft mounts to it doesnt spin the other side same with the part that the front drive shaft connect to so it seems like its in neutral but pretty sure it doesnt have a neutral so I'm guessing something broke inside so it sounds spin through the whole t case
Old 09-20-2020, 07:14 PM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by Zachary Bricker
no the engine just revs, it does feel like its in neutral , but if it was in neutral wouldnt the truck start in d, r ,1, and 2nd? . and yes I have put it in 4 wd and nothing changes in term of moving
No, even though your not getting any contact from those gear selections, the truck thinks it's in gear and it's not going to start
Old 02-20-2024, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Zachary Bricker
I recently had to replace my transmission because my bell housing cracked due to worn engine mounts I've since threw in a used tranny and new engine mounts as well as rebuilt the t case. Everything seemed to be running and operating perfectly for 2 days. On the second day I was on a high way that was 65 mph. I then took a right and slowed down to about 5mph to pull a California stop at a stop sigh. And when i went to accelerate again it wasnt moving. When this happened I did hear a whiring sound. Since then I've looked and inspected as well as researched stuff. So from my inspecting I noticed my t case has a tiny leak but still has plenty of fluid. Tranny fluid is at the correct level and nice and red. Engine oil is at right level as well as all other fluid under hood. I did notice fluid on the rear drive shaft and front of rear yoke. The truck starts fine but wont move in d, r ,1, or 2. At one point I did hear a noise from the t case but just once. I have notice grinding noises comming from the fly wheel area when turning engine off. But the flywheel looks fine. Also truck only starts in p or n position so the shift linkage appears to be working fine. But it rolls freely in and gear. So I'm just baffled engine start up perfectly but there no go go lol. Its 94 f150 xlt 5.0l engine with a bw 1356 t case and 4r70w 4 speed auto transmission. From all my research there are sighs of the following being problem. Bad transmission, drive shaft, torque converter, t case, flywheel, rear axle, and drive axle. Just wondering if anyones dealt with the same issue of truck not moving after slowing down.
I have the same problem just wondering what you found.I can start my truck in park and neutral. And I think the transmission goes into gear because I go from reverse to drive or vice versa and it sounds like the transmission is clicking into drive or reverse. So I think the transfer case chain broke and is spinning the gear in the transfer case.

Quick Reply: 94 f150 starts but wont move