Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.4L problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.4L problems

Hello,

I have hed my truck for a little over a year. I am a second owner of a 97' F-250. For as long as i can remember it has had like a "surge" or the engine will pick up then die down at 1500 RPMs. I have been totally baffled by this. to make a long story short the turck has spent a lot of time in the shop and i have yet to figure it out. I have replaced the plugs and boots. Thats about as far as I got. It didnt make a difference at all so i took it to the "proffesonals" they have messed with all parts of the EGR valve. Last i took it to a mechanic who replaced some DPTV sensor. it helped slightly. He also mentioned a program out that FMC came up with to "fix" these troubleshooting problems. If yall have any ideas or anything like that it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:45 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Has the Idle Air Control (IAC) solenoid been inspected and/or cleaned?

'Check Engine' light on while engine is running?

Do you mean it idles at 1500 RPM? If so, have you checked for any vacuum leaks?
Old 02-19-2008, 08:10 PM
ASE Master Tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle high or up & down?

If I'm not mistaken there is a rubber elbow on the back of the intake plenium. If you are having an up down or high/rough idle it could be that the rubber boot has dilapidated and collapsed causing it to tear thus leaking air. Seen the problem before if I have your symtoms correct. The boot is hard to locate. Using white lithium spray the back of the intake while the engine is running. This applies to the 5.4 engine.

Quick Reply: 5.4L problems