General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.6 to 302 engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking 4.6 to 302 engine swap

I swapped a 302 into a 1997 Ford F150 4x4 Supercab the other day. I got tired of running down sensors. The truck runs fine and screams due to being overbored 60 thousandths and the Holley four barrel. Point ignition hits the first half crank. All gauges work even the 2g alternator. I am pushing an AOD hooked to my Borg-Warner 4406 31 spline. I have one problem cropped in. The transmission disengages on idling in reverse, just drops in and out but holds as long as I give it the gas. I can't figure that one out yet. The throttle valve cable is adjusted to correct slack. I assume it is somewhere else.Overall, the 302 to me was the best engine made and a lot of Mustangs know it. Now my hotrod is like i wanted it and wished the factory would have done this instead. So, if you have any bad engines in the 97 and need a cheaper way to get on the road just install the 302 and non-electric trans unless you have the 250 trans from a 302 or 5.8 in a later model. If I had to do it all over again I would have installed a C6 or C5 with the normal kickdown and not the fool hardy TV cable or rod that was to me a big mistake. I like the old modulator but was convinced by experts to get the AOD and it took me forever to find the right cable and then I had to manufacture the brackets which I did and they look better than Lokars. Lots of time and lots of fun doing something that no one else has done and done right. Now, it is a breeze since I know all the pitfalls of laying it out. I could do it now in about a week. If anyone has a 302 in their 97, send me a note and I would like to hear about your swap. Now, I have to get back to my 302 engine in my 98 Intrepid.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:16 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Tend to get lost in long threads that seem to go no where. Does this thing go into reverse or not? The TV cable has no bearing on the reverse engagement. Has more to do with shift points. Please help?

Last edited by Good old Bill; 06-04-2009 at 08:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
EverlastFord (10-21-2012)
Old 06-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Cut Some Slack:

Don't try to adjust the tran TV by feel; here's the way to do it:

http://tciauto.com/Products/Instruct...31000_inst.htm

Get it right or you can screw up the tran in a grand way.

Correcting the TV setting might fix the reverse cut-out problem...or it may not.

The 302 compared to the 4.6?? Well, the 4.6 is a much better engine; however,
a big factor in favor of the 302 is "what ain't there can't go wrong"...to quote old Henry.

Last edited by Kattumaram; 06-04-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:19 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

guess the guy in the other lane with his '89 GT never got the memo when i beat him.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:41 PM

Default 302 ford swap

Originally Posted by Good old Bill
Tend to get lost in long threads that seem to go no where. Does this thing go into reverse or not? The TV cable has no bearing on the reverse engagement. Has more to do with shift points. Please help?
Thanks, but I am new and got all kinds of questions on this truck. It hesitates in reverse and drive at the initial shift into either gear which sometimes it will go right in and sometimes it does not. It takes its time sometimes and sometimes it just hits at once. I tried moving the tv cable while idling but I noticed a kinda drag on the engine idle some what. It made no difference holding it up some while I shifted into each gear. It stayed the same. Now, once in gear it will shift perfect and kickdown in all fours ok and holds very well. It will bark the tires, but I have to wait until it engages and then sometimes it seems to want to start out in second but mostly it grabs in low. I have no clue what is going on with it, unless it is not getting pressure constant to the clutches and is seeping at low idle or low pressure. It seems to have a bypass valve that opens and closes when it wants. As far as driving, it drives well shifting out when it does do it right which is about 75 percent of the time. Floyd
Old 06-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Justin

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kattumaram
The 302 compared to the 4.6?? Well, the 4.6 is a much better engine; however, a big factor in favor of the 302 is "what ain't there can't go wrong"...to quote old Henry.
Just curious, why do you feel the 4.6L is a much better motor than the 5.0L?

From my experience, I've seen 5.0's go many more miles and produce as much if not more power than most 4.6L's, in both F150 & Stang form.

Could there be a reason why Ford is now moving away from the 4.6L to the 5.0L Coyote?
Old 11-18-2009, 12:05 PM

everlastford, i'm also a junior member swapping in a 289 in place of a 4.2. I need your experiences please ie wiring motor mounts all areas of fabrication and modification. Please help me out. My email deezdart428@yahoo.com
Respectfully Dimitri

Trending Topics

Old 11-22-2009, 09:11 PM

Default 302 swap

Hello, you asked about the Ford 302 swap into the 97 4x4 I have. I feel you only have to use the existing bolt thru engine mounts off the 302 and bolt them into the truck frame mounts. I believe it should line up ok with the trans. mount also. as far as the wiring goes, the oil wire will work, the wiring on the alternator will have to be with a later model 302 with the same wiring or rewire the two field windings together and run the others normally into the existing wiring. The distributor point wire used is just the existing hot wires that feed the coils on the 4.6. You might have to adapt the metric to std. hoses on the pump and use a flex hose for the lower port on the radiator. you will have to t out the filler tank to the intake/heater hose. The fan cleared on mine real well. I used truck exhaust manifolds on the 302 and just spliced them together and all is super tight.The speedometer wires stayed the same off my transfer case. The rest of the wires did not bother any of my gauges and other things. I took the tank off and removed the pump by installing a longer suction tube in placeof the pump. I had one problem with the gauge reading half full. I drove it for awile, long enough the gauge should have moved but did not, and then I put in another 6 gallons of gas and it moved up to 3/4 tank on the gauge. I must have ben the arm somehow when I put it back. I won't know until i take it off again. Kinda hard to get it off and on but worth it. any more need let me know. Not often anyone wants to help out on things of this sort but feel free--that is what it is all about--helping out! Floyd
Old 11-22-2009, 10:47 PM
Paint it black

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MHC-F150
Just curious, why do you feel the 4.6L is a much better motor than the 5.0L?

From my experience, I've seen 5.0's go many more miles and produce as much if not more power than most 4.6L's, in both F150 & Stang form.

Could there be a reason why Ford is now moving away from the 4.6L to the 5.0L Coyote?
the 5.0 windsor is no where near the same motor as the new 5.0 proposed. if you looking at displacement then i guess the ford 429 and chevy 427 motors would be the same as they are both 7.0l motors. in my opinion the mod motors surpass the ol pushrod brothers in many aspects.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:06 PM

I have a blown 4.6 in my 97' F-150 regular cab long bed. I am leaning towards swapping it to a 302 simply because i can get the parts fairly easily vs fixing the 4.6l . What all is needed exactly to make the switch?. I understand its a loaded question but just need to know the big stuff that i may need to know before i begin the process.

Quick Reply: 4.6 to 302 engine swap