Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2wd ok in San Diego or should I go 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2wd ok in San Diego or should I go 4x4?

Looking to buy my first truck and need help deciding on 2wd or 4wd. I’m looking at 2011-2012 F-150 and going up to a 4x4 adds an extra $2k-$3k, which is a lot when I’m trying to keep the budget in the low $20’s. I have zero plans to go offroading, hauling or taking it to the snow. I would mostly be using it for yardwork/house projects, taking the kayaks to the bay and camping once a year.

My wife and I plan to start camping at least once a year but it will mostly be to places like Yosemite with lots of tourists in the area already. I honestly don’t think I’ll need it but I know it’s one of those things you’re glad you have when you need it. Will a 2wd truck with some A/T tires do the trick for my needs or should I just pay the extra few thousand for 4wd?
Old 09-24-2015, 08:40 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 4x2

4x2 will be just fine... 4x4 is a waste of money out there. Heck I live in Michigan and could get by with two wheel drive. I have to make a point to exercise the for wheel drive every chance I get so it doesn't freeze up.

Originally Posted by JaviJ01
Looking to buy my first truck and need help deciding on 2wd or 4wd. I’m looking at 2011-2012 F-150 and going up to a 4x4 adds an extra $2k-$3k, which is a lot when I’m trying to keep the budget in the low $20’s. I have zero plans to go offroading, hauling or taking it to the snow. I would mostly be using it for yardwork/house projects, taking the kayaks to the bay and camping once a year.

My wife and I plan to start camping at least once a year but it will mostly be to places like Yosemite with lots of tourists in the area already. I honestly don’t think I’ll need it but I know it’s one of those things you’re glad you have when you need it. Will a 2wd truck with some A/T tires do the trick for my needs or should I just pay the extra few thousand for 4wd?
Old 10-07-2015, 06:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JaviJ01

If you can get a 4x2 with the limited slip rear end or the electronic locker that might work nicely for you. I had an 87 F150 4x2 regular cab with a 4.10 rear end and a limited slip that I drove for work all over mountain logging roads on the coast of British Columbia - was a great truck, went anywhere.

Quick Reply: 2wd ok in San Diego or should I go 4x4?