General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 F150 2.7 EcoBoost using Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 F150 2.7 EcoBoost using Coolant

My 2018 2.7 EcoBoost is using/loosing coolant somewhere, just clicked 100,000 miles. Oil is clean, no evidence of Coolant in the oil. There are no puddles on garage floor, no evidence anywhere around the engine of leaking hose, radiator, coolant tank or any other sign of coolant leak. Coolant Tank is taking a quart at about 400 mile intervals. The exhaust, to me, has a pungent odor that is not what I have smelled prior to noticing coolant tank needed topping off. It smells to me kind of like coolant but that may just be me since I know coolant is going somewhere. There is no evidence of excess dampness at the exhaust tip at start up or warm up. Has anyone had or heard of a similar situation with 2.7 or 3.5 Eco Boost?
Old 05-14-2024, 02:36 PM

Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Have you lifted the rug under the passengers side front area? I've seen mentions of newer trucks with heater core/evap issues where it's wet under the carpet which points to it coming from the heater box. Perhaps why there's nothing on the exterior or under the truck.
Old 05-22-2024, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did not think of that, thanks. There is no smell of coolant in the cab, probably why that idea never came to me. No sign of any dampness in footwell area, so problem is something else. Thanks again.
Old 05-22-2024, 02:25 PM

Received 1,193 Likes on 968 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderCloud
My 2018 2.7 EcoBoost is using/loosing coolant somewhere, just clicked 100,000 miles. Oil is clean, no evidence of Coolant in the oil. There are no puddles on garage floor, no evidence anywhere around the engine of leaking hose, radiator, coolant tank or any other sign of coolant leak. Coolant Tank is taking a quart at about 400 mile intervals. The exhaust, to me, has a pungent odor that is not what I have smelled prior to noticing coolant tank needed topping off. It smells to me kind of like coolant but that may just be me since I know coolant is going somewhere. There is no evidence of excess dampness at the exhaust tip at start up or warm up. Has anyone had or heard of a similar situation with 2.7 or 3.5 Eco Boost?
Intuitively, with that rate of loss, would seem the only place it could be going (without obvious visual sign of leakage), is out the tailpipe.

I don’t know turbos, but if you had a non turbo my money would be on a bad intake gasket (or bad intake).

when you find it, please post update/conclusion.

Quick Reply: 2018 F150 2.7 EcoBoost using Coolant