General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 5.0 Lariat - Steering wheel vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 5.0 Lariat - Steering wheel vibration

I noticed, my one month old 2018 F150 5.0 Lariat (1400KM), steering wheel start vibrating at acceration 80km/h (50mph), over 95 km/h (60mph) it would get better/stop, also if I let go of the gas pedal it also feel better/stop, dealer have balanced the two front tires, but no luck

Just wondering, anyone encounter the same issue or any suggestion what to look for

Thanks
Old 08-27-2018, 02:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheJava
I noticed, my one month old 2018 F150 5.0 Lariat (1400KM), steering wheel start vibrating at acceration 80km/h (50mph), over 95 km/h (60mph) it would get better/stop, also if I let go of the gas pedal it also feel better/stop, dealer have balanced the two front tires, but no luck

Just wondering, anyone encounter the same issue or any suggestion what to look for

Thanks
I've recently had a very disappointing experience with my local Ford dealership, regarding wheel balancing.
I would encourage you to seek out a local tire shop that has a Road Force Elite balancer.
Ask the shop to check that your tires are properly Match Mounted and then have them attempt a Road Force balance for you.

If the results of the Road Force Elite balance indicate that your tires have a road force value greater then, 15lbs. You will feel a vibration through your steering wheel, no matter how precise of a balance job you get.
It is entirely possible to have brand new tires with high (greater than 15lbs) road force values. Your only recourse will be to replace the failed tire and hope the replacement has a lower value.

My disappointing experience with Ford involves a tire that was shown to have a high road force value by an independent shop.
Yet, I was never made aware of this issue by the dealership, for the life of the tire. And the dealership did a horrible job mounting and balancing new tires for me.

I ended up paying a dedicated tire shop to re-do my mounting & balancing of the new tires. That shop made me aware that none of the newly mounted tires were Match Mounted and two of the NEW tires had high road force values.

I had a replacement set of four tires shipped in and one of the replacement tires also, had a high road force value. I finally ended up with a good set. But it took effort and focused expertise, which I did not receive from the Ford dealership.

Last edited by ngcreese; 08-27-2018 at 02:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TheJava (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 07:29 PM

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts

The primary cause of left to right steering wheel vibration is bad tire balance.
The 2ndary cause is a bad tire(s).
The next cause is, you don't want to hear it.

Hopefully your truck is still under the bumper to bumper warranty so Ford has to take care of the problem one way or another.
Force/escalate the issue on Ford, its their responsibility per their warranty.

If your truck's mileage has passed the bumper to bumper warranty then i'd take ngcreese's advice.

Quick Reply: 2018 5.0 Lariat - Steering wheel vibration