General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 XLT with bad vibration issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 05:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2017 XLT with bad vibration issue

Got a '17 XLT SCrew 5.0 short bed, with FX4, 3.55 rear and 18" wheels. I've noticed a vibration with the truck since I got it and it's been to the dealer twice for alignment and balancing. First time they said it was fine, second time they agreed that all 4 were out of balance. They also said alignment was out. Slight vibrations at highway speeds were still there but not as bad.

Fast forward to this weekend... Drove almost 200 miles to Ocean City MD and noticed that the vibrations were the worst in the high 50's up to the 70's mph. Drove home today and noticed during the drive that the vibrations were getting worse as the trip went on. It got to the point that I can feel the steering wheel shake in the high 40's, mid 50's slight vibrations through the pedals, 60 to 65 the steering wheel worsens, 65 to 75 is unbearable, whole truck is shaking.

I let the tires cool down once I got home and hit the highway a few min ago, same thing, bad shaking 60's into 70's. Checked the lug nuts and they were all tight. I was thinking maybe the tires had feathering from the misalignment, but that was 500 miles ago that it was allegedly realigned. So now I gotta go back again to the dealer. Not to mention all the other problems I've had with this truck already, just bought it back in July.

Suggestions?

Last edited by bravozero; 09-17-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:35 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Different dealer. If that don't work get 2nd opinion from Alignment shop. This if it is a tire/wheel problem. Could be drive line or U joint.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:22 AM

Received 531 Likes on 407 Posts

Exclamation

Do you feel the vibrations in the gas pedal at those speeds when accelerating?

Do you feel the vibrations sometimes in the steering wheel?
Old 09-18-2017, 09:41 AM

Received 563 Likes on 402 Posts

Did the dealer road force balance the tires? If not start there.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:18 AM

its not always in the tires, but a good place to start.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:30 AM

Received 216 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by bravozero
Got a '17 XLT SCrew 5.0 short bed, with FX4, 3.55 rear and 18" wheels. I've noticed a vibration with the truck since I got it and it's been to the dealer twice for alignment and balancing. First time they said it was fine, second time they agreed that all 4 were out of balance. They also said alignment was out. Slight vibrations at highway speeds were still there but not as bad.

Fast forward to this weekend... Drove almost 200 miles to Ocean City MD and noticed that the vibrations were the worst in the high 50's up to the 70's mph. Drove home today and noticed during the drive that the vibrations were getting worse as the trip went on. It got to the point that I can feel the steering wheel shake in the high 40's, mid 50's slight vibrations through the pedals, 60 to 65 the steering wheel worsens, 65 to 75 is unbearable, whole truck is shaking.

I let the tires cool down once I got home and hit the highway a few min ago, same thing, bad shaking 60's into 70's. Checked the lug nuts and they were all tight. I was thinking maybe the tires had feathering from the misalignment, but that was 500 miles ago that it was allegedly realigned. So now I gotta go back again to the dealer. Not to mention all the other problems I've had with this truck already, just bought it back in July.

Suggestions?
Looks like driveshaft vibration to me. A few members here have had similar issues. Surprisely, it's usually related to the truck having the 157'' wheel base (supercrew + 6.5 ft box). One of my buddy has the same issue - the dealership is replacing something in the driveshaft/differential, but he couldn't tell me what.

Bring it back, bring it back and bring it back until you get it fixed.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:43 AM

i had a supercab with the 6.5 box, and it had the vibration issue really bad.

Wasn't the tires, because when not accelerating, you did not feel the vibration.

Could feel the vibration in the gas pedal and steering wheel but only when accelerating (not coasting), and mine only appeared between 55-65 mph range.

(Its the same vibration issues prevalent in the Silverado's).

More than likely a drive line vibration. good luck on getting that diagnosed. you will end up with a response of "Its just the harmonics of a truck suspension".
Old 09-18-2017, 04:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

still have a vibration issue with my screw 5.5' box. Driveshaft replaced...did not help.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:50 AM

Received 216 Likes on 183 Posts

I remember I had vibrations on my 2014 Tacoma after lifting it (3'' front 2'' rear) because the angle of 2 axle pieces was affected (2 piece axle = pure crap) and that caused vibrations. Of course, since it was lifted and that was the cause, Toyota did not want to fix. I put some spacers to drop the angle a little and it helped, but I still noticed vibs.

Toyota had a similar issues and they put an anti-vibration piece in the steering to solve it.

After reading on forums, it seemed like changing the 2 piece driveshaft to a single piece driveshaft was the fix, but it was expensive.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:17 PM

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

if the vibration is felt in the steering wheel, most likely not the driveshaft. make sure
the road force balance the tires as was mentioned, possibly a bad tire. move the
front tires to the back and see if it changes from the steering wheel to your seat.
The following users liked this post:
Tyler L (10-06-2017)