General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Washer Fluid Reservoir Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2015 Washer Fluid Reservoir Leaking

Was on a camping trip recently when I was unable to get washer fluid to my windshield. I couldn't remember the last time I filled it (since I've only had it 6 mos.), so I filled the tank with water. To my surprise, I saw seeing water dripping from below the reservoir immediately. Even before it all leaked out, the washer nozzles barely sprayed (dribbled).

1) What could go bad so soon in its life to cause the leak? A cracked reservoir? If so how, considering its protected location? If not, then a bad pump or seal where the pump or tubing pass through the reservoir? (I'm guessing at this as I don't know the design.)

2) If the lines run dry, how long should I have to run the washer motor to get fluid to the nozzles?

3) Additionally, of course when the windshield is dry, I would expect the dry wiper drag/friction to be an issue but it seems to be quite 'violent' vibration on this truck, as compared to any cars I've ever owned. Is this normal? Or is it due to the type of wiper blades the dealer installed before I bought it used? (Hope this all makes sense.)

Thanks!

Last edited by Lone Star Guy; 05-26-2018 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Changed wording
Old 05-26-2018, 12:43 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Couple of things,

You could very easily have a rubber hose or the reservoir leaking. Broken clamp, hard to really say but another issue especially when the tank is dry or not used for long periods of time deposits/scale will form and end up at the bottom of the tank and clog the screen. Sounds like you have a double headed issue.

Not knowing the history of the truck it's possible water was put in the tank and it froze cracking the res. Being a Texas truck I'd be surprised if that was a cause however.

It's a PITA removing the battery and a few other items to get down to the bottom of the tank. Can't remember if it can be accessed from below.

Up by the battery you will see the hose coming from the res. Add some more water and pull the tube off the plastic fitting and blow into it and see if you can blow bubbles into the res., that will tell you whether or not it's clogged and help clear the screen. Might also help show where the leak is.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:36 AM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

I had this exact issue. I opened the hood and pressed the washer button and looked. I had a leak in the hose. Not sure if a critter ate a hole or it wore through. No need to pull the battery. I pulled the right headlight to get access to the reservoir/pump. Quick fix to change the hose.

Last edited by Tallyman89; 05-27-2018 at 06:38 AM.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:12 AM

Thanks gents... very strange.. I did some more investigating after I posted my issue and I THOUGHT I posted those findings but they don't seem to be visible! I guess I never submitted and it disappeared.

Anyway, what I found was the tank was not dry. It is holding fluid unless I run the pump, then it leaks like a sieve with nothing coming from the nozzles. I can hear the pump, so I assume it's either a bad connection or bad tubing exiting the pump..(?). I will see what I can find when removing the headlight. It's under Certified Pre-owned warranty but I don't know if that is covered. The washer et. al. is not on the list.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:03 PM

Duplicate post removed...

Last edited by Lone Star Guy; 07-07-2018 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Duplicated post
Old 07-07-2018, 02:20 PM

Default Follow-up Sorry for repeat posts

Originally Posted by Lone Star Guy
Thanks gents... very strange.. I did some more investigating after I posted my issue and I THOUGHT I posted those findings but they don't seem to be visible! I guess I never submitted and it disappeared.

Anyway, what I found was the tank was not dry. It is holding fluid unless I run the pump, then it leaks like a sieve with nothing coming from the nozzles. I can hear the pump, so I assume it's either a bad connection or bad tubing exiting the pump..(?). I will see what I can find when removing the headlight. It's under Certified Pre-owned warranty but I don't know if that is covered. The washer et. al. is not on the list.

OK, following up on my issue... after removing the headlight assy and looking for the leak, it turned out to be a hole in the small tubing (~6") going between the end of the semi-rigid flex tubing coming from the reservoir pump and the connector that feeds to the wiper blades. The hole was just beyond the connection point of those two tubes. Apparently, it is fed either over or under some framework, so the UNPROTECTED tubing was rubbing on the frame and eventually developed a hole. (It's a 2015, so took 3-4 years I guess) (I don't know whether it was above or below the frame originally, but after the fix, I routed it above the frame. Still, abrasion was possible.) To fix it, I clipped off the bad part, reattached it, and put some flexible protective sleeve over it and reinstalled.

Hole caused by abrasion, likely from framework

The hole!

Tube protector I added

Looking down at tubing with added protector

View from reservoir showing tube protected from this point up...

Quick Reply: 2015 Washer Fluid Reservoir Leaking