General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 adding tailgate step?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 02:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2015 adding tailgate step?

Hello, I just got a new company pickup that our corporate headquarters ordered for me. The issue is its a work truck with a tool box in the back end. When we ordered the truck our location manager requested several additions to the truck one of which was the tailgate step. The corporate powers to be located 1500 miles away in her nice warm office chair felt we did not need such add ons and nixed them all. She was nice enough how ever to add the Off road package. For some dumb reason she felt that was the necessity.... My manager said we wont fight with her, once we get the truck we will take it down to the dealer and as long as its not a crazy amount we can add one. Well when I picked up the truck I asked the parts guy what it would cost to add this small addition and he quoted me $2700. He said it had to be installed by the dealership because of the way it all had to be put together.

I think this seem pretty high priced for what it is. Has anyone swapped tailgates or installed a tailgate step in to there existing tailgate, if so what was the cost? I have not checked but Im willing to bet if i pop the plastic top trim off my tailgate the holes for the step are already in the tailgate. The dealer said I would need a new shell.... If i can get the price down to 700-900$ and install it all myself I could get my boss to ok the purchase. With everything so new Its hard finding any information on doing it yet.

Thanks for the help everyone
Michael
Old 02-04-2015, 09:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MY05STANG
Hello, I just got a new company pickup that our corporate headquarters ordered for me. The issue is its a work truck with a tool box in the back end. When we ordered the truck our location manager requested several additions to the truck one of which was the tailgate step. The corporate powers to be located 1500 miles away in her nice warm office chair felt we did not need such add ons and nixed them all. She was nice enough how ever to add the Off road package. For some dumb reason she felt that was the necessity.... My manager said we wont fight with her, once we get the truck we will take it down to the dealer and as long as its not a crazy amount we can add one. Well when I picked up the truck I asked the parts guy what it would cost to add this small addition and he quoted me $2700. He said it had to be installed by the dealership because of the way it all had to be put together. I think this seem pretty high priced for what it is. Has anyone swapped tailgates or installed a tailgate step in to there existing tailgate, if so what was the cost? I have not checked but Im willing to bet if i pop the plastic top trim off my tailgate the holes for the step are already in the tailgate. The dealer said I would need a new shell.... If i can get the price down to 700-900$ and install it all myself I could get my boss to ok the purchase. With everything so new Its hard finding any information on doing it yet. Thanks for the help everyone Michael
maybe they can swap it out for one on the lot.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:31 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by sgl41377
maybe they can swap it out for one on the lot.

Not a chance, the step is an optional part and is shown in the list of options on the window sticker, I wouldn't take delivery on my new truck if it was missing.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:35 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by MY05STANG
Hello, I just got a new company pickup that our corporate headquarters ordered for me. The issue is its a work truck with a tool box in the back end. When we ordered the truck our location manager requested several additions to the truck one of which was the tailgate step. The corporate powers to be located 1500 miles away in her nice warm office chair felt we did not need such add ons and nixed them all. She was nice enough how ever to add the Off road package. For some dumb reason she felt that was the necessity.... My manager said we wont fight with her, once we get the truck we will take it down to the dealer and as long as its not a crazy amount we can add one. Well when I picked up the truck I asked the parts guy what it would cost to add this small addition and he quoted me $2700. He said it had to be installed by the dealership because of the way it all had to be put together.

I think this seem pretty high priced for what it is. Has anyone swapped tailgates or installed a tailgate step in to there existing tailgate, if so what was the cost? I have not checked but Im willing to bet if i pop the plastic top trim off my tailgate the holes for the step are already in the tailgate. The dealer said I would need a new shell.... If i can get the price down to 700-900$ and install it all myself I could get my boss to ok the purchase. With everything so new Its hard finding any information on doing it yet.

Thanks for the help everyone
Michael

Aftermarket will be a better financial move. Several styles to choose from just google tailgate step. Here's an example http://www.realtruck.com/westin-truc...e-ladder-step/
The following users liked this post:
NDcent (02-16-2017)
Old 02-05-2015, 08:11 PM

the only step I really remotely like is one that mounts in the corner of the bumper and rocks down to use. But Im not a fan of the stowed look. As far as the Westin one above. I'm always loading thing like drum and pallets in the backend and anything that mounts to the deck of the tailgate will be more of a hassle than anything else. I found the factory step kit for 700 I guess u just need to pull the access panel off and top trim piece and see if the hole and mounting locations are there for the factory tailgate step. Most of our other company trucks have steps located at the front of the box that fold down so the guys can get stuff out of their tool box. I'm pretty sure they were paying 350 per side plus putting on cab length nerf bars. So if I can get the factory tailgate step put on for 700 to 800 it's still gonna be cheaper route than what the other pickups have and be more usable.

Thanks guys for the input
Old 06-09-2015, 02:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did adding the factory step work out?
Old 06-09-2015, 05:37 PM

Nope the tailgate shells are different. I priced all the parts and it worked out to be $1000 not including paint. So I am still with out
Old 06-10-2015, 01:06 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I just added an amp bed step to my truck. I like these much better than the factory step setup. The tailgate does not have to be open to use it. Plus I have a bed extender. When the bed is extended I wouldn't be able to use the factory step even if I had it. $200 and I installed it in less than a half an hour.

http://www.amp-research.com/products...ories/bedstep/
The following users liked this post:
NDcent (02-16-2017)

Quick Reply: 2015 adding tailgate step?