General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 F150 speedometer needle off from GPS speed

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2014 F150 speedometer needle off from GPS speed

I just bought a 2014 F150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost and I noticed that the speedometer needle is off by a couple miles per hour, at 66 I'm going actually traveling 70 miles per hour. When my truck is parked the needle is a couple mph under the 0. Does anyone know if I can take the dash gauges out and take the needle off to place it correctly on the post?
Old 06-15-2017, 09:04 AM

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

I know you can remove the needles, but I think it's also easy to jack up your calibration by messing with them.

I can't remember where my needle is when I'm at "0", but when I bought my truck the speedo was reading 5mph low at 70, which could have gotten me a ticket. I ended up buying a tuner which allowed me to re-calibrate. I think the Forscan tool will let you calibrate the speedo too. A dealer should also be able to do the same, it just might take a couple tries to get it right.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok thanks. The ECU is reading the correct MPH because when I put the middle screen between the gauges in test mode to where it shows the MPH in digital form, that speed is correct. So the needle is just off by a few MPH. So I don't want to program it, that would actually mess up the "Brain" Ecu speed, that'd throw my odometer off. I've taken it to my ford dealership and they just came back and said its only off my 1/2 a MPH. BS!!! Maybe the ECU speed but not the MPH needle.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:41 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

You should take it to a dealer and have it calibrated. If it's still off, then

It's possible that a prior owner had different sized wheels on there, and they had to adjust the calibration of the speedometer to compensate. That happened to me when I changed tire sizes...
Old 06-16-2017, 05:03 AM

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradxxoo
I just bought a 2014 F150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost and I noticed that the speedometer needle is off by a couple miles per hour, at 66 I'm going actually traveling 70 miles per hour. When my truck is parked the needle is a couple mph under the 0. Does anyone know if I can take the dash gauges out and take the needle off to place it correctly on the post?
Have the tires been replaced and a different size than the OEM as delivered tires? Tire/wheel changes can make a difference.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:16 PM
LX2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in this also. My 17 was off from the time I bought it new a month and a half ago. Setting the cruise to like 65 and the needle always shows a mile or two higher progressively the higher you set it. Switch to digital display and it shows pretty well true to the set speed. I've even noticed on a flat road setting the cruise at say 60mph, the digital display AND Waze are all reading the same, look at the needle and...........a mph or two higher.

I thought about asking if there was some way to adjust this internally
Old 06-16-2017, 03:21 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Showing higher has been a normal thing for ages. The dial is never dead accurate(except on my 2016, it actually is). I have a Garmin that shows current speed, and matched it to the dash digital and analog and it shows the same speed, however my 2014 was a different story, it was off by at least 3 MPH. I was able to get it to 1 MPH difference using the SCT X4 setup while installing a tune.

OTOH the OP is just the opposite, his is actually slower than real speed, so that is not good, and will lead to a ticket some day. Around here I can do up to 9 over and not get pulled over, but soon as I hit 10, pulled over and pay the fine. With the Speedometer showing three under the real speed, that is a problem.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:00 PM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

Are the tires the same size that came from the factory. If not you're going to be off quite a bit, I've seen 7-8 mph difference when guys go to larger aftermarket tires. Within a reasonable limit the computer can be reprogramed for different tire sizes. If you go up to 35" or taller tires you just have to live with it.

Actually anything within 5 mph is pretty good. I'd not worry about it, lots of cars on the road of that much and the drivers never know about it.

As tires wear they become smaller in diameter and change the readout of the speedometer and odometer slightly. My speedo was right with my GPS when the tires were new. Right now I'm at 52,000 on these tires and my speedo is 3mph slower than my GPS. If you go to the trouble to change it now, it may be off when you buy new tires even if you buy the same size.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:58 PM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I noticed an immediate 2mph difference when I "tuned" my truck. I've never went back to stock to see if it changes back.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:14 AM

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradxxoo
Ok thanks. The ECU is reading the correct MPH because when I put the middle screen between the gauges in test mode to where it shows the MPH in digital form, that speed is correct. So the needle is just off by a few MPH. So I don't want to program it, that would actually mess up the "Brain" Ecu speed, that'd throw my odometer off. I've taken it to my ford dealership and they just came back and said its only off my 1/2 a MPH. BS!!! Maybe the ECU speed but not the MPH needle.
Could you post a picture of your needle when the truck is stopped?