Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 F150 Shocks Questions (Fox 2.0)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2014 F150 Shocks Questions (Fox 2.0)

Hello, i have a question regarding shocks for my truck. I purchased a 2014 pre owned XLT supercrew (3.5 Ecoboost) and while i love the way it rides, i want it to be a tad bit smoother. I'm not certain how long OEM shocks last and how often do they have to be changed but i know the general idea is when you feel like the ride isn't as smooth as it should be. Long story short, im on real truck and i see the "Fox 2.0 Performance" shocks talked about alot in these forums as i searched around. First question, do i need to buy just the rear or purchase a pair for the front as well. Second question is, is this my better option that wont break the bank. I see all the youtube videos on them but its hard to tell these days as many youtubers push positive reviews for monetary gains or simply just free loot. Any insight is appreciated. Thank you.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got done replacing the shocks on my 2013 XLT a few weeks ago. I noticed that the ride was getting a little bouncy, and towing was worse. I did the rears myself and found that both were totally shot. I could compress both and no rebound for either. Took it in to get the fronts done and I asked for the old one's back to see how they were. Both of them were the same. Could compress both and neither would rebound back. Based on a ton of threads about stock shocks, it's probably a good bet that you're due.

Lots around the F150 forums really like the Bilstein 4600 and 5100 shocks. I did get the 4600 (yellow and blue) set and really like them. I really don't have anything else to compare them with other than the stock ones that came from the factory, but they ride very nice. I think I paid about $350 for the set, plus another $250 to the dealer to install the fronts.
The following users liked this post:
cryptodirky (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by drew999999
I just got done replacing the shocks on my 2013 XLT a few weeks ago. I noticed that the ride was getting a little bouncy, and towing was worse. I did the rears myself and found that both were totally shot. I could compress both and no rebound for either. Took it in to get the fronts done and I asked for the old one's back to see how they were. Both of them were the same. Could compress both and neither would rebound back. Based on a ton of threads about stock shocks, it's probably a good bet that you're due.

Lots around the F150 forums really like the Bilstein 4600 and 5100 shocks. I did get the 4600 (yellow and blue) set and really like them. I really don't have anything else to compare them with other than the stock ones that came from the factory, but they ride very nice. I think I paid about $350 for the set, plus another $250 to the dealer to install the fronts.
Thanks for the reply drew. I will take a look at your links and compare. Id rather get the whole set (front and back) to just knock it out and have a smoother ride. I read around that the fox 2.0 shocks typically have to be replaced every 2 years and they can be rebuilt. Thanks again for the insight. How does your truck feel after the upgrades, is it night and day for you?
Old 03-13-2018, 04:57 PM

Received 391 Likes on 256 Posts

The Fox 2.0 rear shocks are excellent. I have them myself. The ride is very smooth.

You don't necessarily need to change the fronts at the same time, though if you're bringing it into the shop, you may want to do all four just for convenience sake.

Regarding doing all four, to my knowledge Fox does not make front shocks for the F-150, available only as "shocks". They offer their front coilover system in a variety of configurations, but that includes the coil spring and is much more expensive. I don't believe they offer a front shock not in "coilover" form. I have the coilovers since I go off-roading and trail riding frequently, and they are incredible.

In a previous truck (a Ford Ranger) I had the Bilstein 4600's on front and back and they too were excellent. If you're trying to keep the same brand on all four corners, the Bilstein's are an excellent choice.

Last edited by Florida_F150; 03-13-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by cryptodirky
Thanks for the reply drew. I will take a look at your links and compare. Id rather get the whole set (front and back) to just knock it out and have a smoother ride. I read around that the fox 2.0 shocks typically have to be replaced every 2 years and they can be rebuilt. Thanks again for the insight. How does your truck feel after the upgrades, is it night and day for you?
Originally Posted by Florida_F150
The Fox 2.0 rear shocks are excellent. I have them myself. The ride is very smooth.

You don't necessarily need to change the fronts at the same time, though if you're bringing it into the shop, you may want to do all four just for convenience sake.

Regarding doing all four, to my knowledge Fox does not make front shocks for the F-150, available only as "shocks". They offer their front coilover system in a variety of configurations, but that includes the coil spring and is much more expensive. I don't believe they offer a front shock not in "coilover" form.

In a previous truck (a Ford Ranger) I had the Bilstein 4600's on front and back and they too were excellent. If you're trying to keep the same brand on all four corners, the Bilstein's are an excellent choice.
Florida, thanks for the clarification. I may just stick with rear for now and pursue a front option a little later. Real truck has the fox 2.0’s for around 129 plus tax and I will compare with Bilstein. Im kind of OCD where I would want all 4 to be the same brand lol. In the end I just want the ride to be a little smoother so this modification is what I need.
The following users liked this post:
Florida_F150 (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 05:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How does your truck feel after the upgrades, is it night and day for you?
It was quite a drastic change for my setup. I was getting a ton of front end bounce when towing (even a fairly light tongue weight boat trailer) and also nose diving during sudden stops. I was also getting what felt like body roll when cornering. After changing the rears, it felt like the towing bounce actually got worse. After changing the fronts, it was a new truck all together. Cornering didn't feel dangerous anymore and the front end bounce was gone. After seeing that the fronts were totally worn out, I know there was zero dampening on the front end which was causing the drastic bounce. I think in my case, as I also pull a travel trailer, I blew the stock shocks awhile back and just got used to the bad ride when not towing. I could have probably changed them out with the cheapest of the cheap shocks and it would have been a drastic difference. I would suggest if you notice the front end diving when hitting the brakes during an emergency stop, or feel like the front launches when going over large bumps (train tracks) at speed, the fronts may need to be swapped out also.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:17 PM

Received 391 Likes on 256 Posts

Florida, thanks for the clarification. I may just stick with rear for now and pursue a front option a little later. Real truck has the fox 2.0’s for around 129 plus tax and I will compare with Bilstein. Im kind of OCD where I would want all 4 to be the same brand lol. In the end I just want the ride to be a little smoother so this modification is what I need.
You're welcome. I believe the Real Truck price is for a single shock, so you would need to order two. Stage 3 sells them in pairs for $280, and a single one on Real Truck is $140 (for the F150 year I chose), so that makes sense. $140 x 2 = $280. Same price on both sites.

Stage 3 has the rear Bilstein 5100's for about $90 per shock, $180 pair, for comparison.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:13 PM

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I just installed the Fox 2.0 rear shocks on my 2018 XLT with under 1600 miles on it. Should have done it sooner. Great bang for the buck.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by ManMountainDean
I just installed the Fox 2.0 rear shocks on my 2018 XLT with under 1600 miles on it. Should have done it sooner. Great bang for the buck.
Really? Wow that’s insane. Ok I know I have to get a pair I’ll decide this weekend! Glad to hear it’s all positive. Again, thanks for the replies guys
Old 03-13-2018, 11:03 PM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

Bilsteins on all 4 for your situation. Hands down. They are the most popular aftermarket shock for a reason and best value.

Quick Reply: 2014 F150 Shocks Questions (Fox 2.0)