General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 f150 5.0 running hot at low rpms

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 f150 5.0 running hot at low rpms

New to the group here but have been reading posts for a few years.
I got rid of my old 2000 F150 and purchased a 2014 f150 with 112000 miles.
The new truck has devloped an issue no one seems to understand so I am going to put it out there and see if anyone has any Ideas.
Purchased the truck in Florida and bought a brand new trailer in Georgia to bring back to Michigan. Nothing heavy 2200 pounds empty.
The trailer towed back perfectly with no issues. The only issue we found was a small coolant leak coming from the corner of the radiator.
We had the radiator replaced when we got to Michigan and it has been running hot at low rpms ever since.
Example: Driving around town 35 to 40 mph or sitting in traffic no issues. Driving on the Highway 70mph 2000 rpms temp starts to climb to about 238 (verified by scan tool live data.)
Drop it down to 5th gear and it cools right down to 215.
Pulled off for fun and checked hoses with infrared thermometer and they are at 190 with the temp saying its at 230 degrees. The truck doesn't go into overheat protection mode and there are no lights on. The gauge just goes up to 3/4 plus when the scan tool says 238. Tested the fans and they kick on right at 221 degrees.
I've reached my wits end with this problem and any help would be appreciated. In case anyone asks They replaced the thermostat with on OEM motorcraft when the did the radiator.
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-26-2024, 09:42 PM
Old school

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Dmarkos,

A few Q's: Who replaced the radiator; dealer or independent mech/rad repair shop?
If they replaced the thermostat w/OEM, what is the part # on the repair invoice?
They may not have burped all the air out of the cooling sys. You can borrow the suction tool from
Auto Zone, etc. and see if that fixes the problem.
Are there any signs of overheating (besides the guage); e.g., swelling hoses, exhaust manifold glowing red (in dark), over-cooking oil smell/smoking?
I had a over-temp light come on in a Pontiac 400 once (no gauge). I spent the weekend changing T-stat, coolant, 5 blade to 7-blade fan, and after cleaning w/Prestone twice, I replaced the 2-row rad with a 3-row rad. In the end, it was a simple thermostatic switch w/contacts stuck together that turned on the over-temp light. I also had a very clean cooling sys,

45K40
Old 04-26-2024, 09:49 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Air somewhere in the system after the rad change?
Old 04-27-2024, 09:43 AM

The radiator was replaced by a large chain store here called Belle tire. They have been working on my vehicles for years and no issues.I picked up the T-stat from the ford dealer and had them put it in while they were at it. The truck is not overheating besides what the gauge and the scan tool live data says. Truck runs fine, nothing is swollen and nothing is glowing. Infrared thermometer says hoses are 190 when gauge says 230. I am going to try the vacuum on the system. I burped it twice on a slope and the fluid went down both times and I added more. It hasn't move since then.
The only other thing I've heard is a failing Cylinder head temperature sensor but, I have heard of one of those before.
Old 04-27-2024, 01:22 PM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd put money on a waterpump.
The following users liked this post:
Johnny Paycheck (04-27-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 10:29 PM

I was planning on taking the tension off the belt and checking the water pump tomorrow to see how it feels.

Quick Reply: 2014 f150 5.0 running hot at low rpms