General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 3.5l ecoboost timing chain fixed but getting codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 3.5l ecoboost timing chain fixed but getting codes

I recently changed out my timing chain due to rattling on cold start ups. Changed out all the associated parts from reading forums on here and YouTube videos. Truck is running good but still got P0017 and p0299 codes. Took into dealer and they said the vct solenoids were bad and couldnt check anything further until those were replaced. They wanted $1000 just to do that. I bought parts and replaced but still getting the codes. I will say I noticed a difference in my truck after replacing them. It seems like I have plenty of power but codes won’t go away. I have tried to reset the pcm but I don’t think I have done it correctly. I tried by taking negative terminal off and hooking wire to positive and negative to drain left over power. I am pretty confident that I got everything timed correctly but since I am getting these codes it does make me wonder if something slipped. Questions- would my truck be driving good if it slipped? I have driven almost 1000 miles since and no issues. Does the pcm have to be reset to get rid of the codes? Are there any other sensors that could be causing this issue? I have read that people had to replace wastegate solenoids on turbos, but haven’t gone that route yet.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:57 PM

Received 3,002 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountaineer6
I recently changed out my timing chain due to rattling on cold start ups. Changed out all the associated parts from reading forums on here and YouTube videos. Truck is running good but still got P0017 and p0299 codes. Took into dealer and they said the vct solenoids were bad and couldnt check anything further until those were replaced. They wanted $1000 just to do that. I bought parts and replaced but still getting the codes. I will say I noticed a difference in my truck after replacing them. It seems like I have plenty of power but codes won’t go away. I have tried to reset the pcm but I don’t think I have done it correctly. I tried by taking negative terminal off and hooking wire to positive and negative to drain left over power. I am pretty confident that I got everything timed correctly but since I am getting these codes it does make me wonder if something slipped. Questions- would my truck be driving good if it slipped? I have driven almost 1000 miles since and no issues. Does the pcm have to be reset to get rid of the codes? Are there any other sensors that could be causing this issue? I have read that people had to replace wastegate solenoids on turbos, but haven’t gone that route yet.

You re connected the cam position sensor connections properly?
If youve still got those codes from what I understand the engine will prevent any valve timing and the PCM shuts down the advance so your truck would still be running crappy.

WTF did Ford do to these 2013 ecoboosts!

Quick Reply: 2013 3.5l ecoboost timing chain fixed but getting codes