General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 low miles and SQUEAKY BRAKES

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 low miles and SQUEAKY BRAKES

have a 2012, with 14k miles and squeaky brakes. Dealer has seen it twice. First time, no success. 2nd time they lubed the calipers that was better, but didn't fix the problem. Just washed the wheels with water and now they are cranking out a big squeal. After 1/2 mile the squeal stops.

Any good answers out there?

My first Ford. Great truck, but the squeak is deadly
Old 10-04-2014, 02:18 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

It could be a pad with a little bit of something in it making the squeak. I had one that did the same thing. After driving it more the pad wore more, and the squeak disappeared. Just a thought. Wish I had more info to give you. Good luck, a squeaky brake is quite aggravating.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:37 AM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by JCSF150
have a 2012, with 14k miles and squeaky brakes. Dealer has seen it twice. First time, no success. 2nd time they lubed the calipers that was better, but didn't fix the problem. Just washed the wheels with water and now they are cranking out a big squeal. After 1/2 mile the squeal stops.

Any good answers out there?

My first Ford. Great truck, but the squeak is deadly
Hi JCSF150,

Have you been back to your dealership since the squeak returned? I'll be happy to do what I can to assist; just PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal
Old 10-06-2014, 07:23 PM
Ford Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine had that too. Had a friend scrub or somehow remove bits of metal in the pad and that solved it for me.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting. I have a 2012 Lariat screw with 7100 miles. Lately, I also have a squeak (more of a groan actually) that seems to be coming from the RR brake. Only happens occasionally and under 15mph. I'll let the dealer know about the contaminated pads when I put it in the shop.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by TheWuMan
Interesting. I have a 2012 Lariat screw with 7100 miles. Lately, I also have a squeak (more of a groan actually) that seems to be coming from the RR brake. Only happens occasionally and under 15mph. I'll let the dealer know about the contaminated pads when I put it in the shop.

I had the same groan. happened on cold morning and would slowly go away. to me, it sounded like a vibration. The vibration went away and was replaced by the squeak. I went to the dealer for the vibration and it was never resolved. Frustrating for sure. I suggest going to the dealer now and start the recording process.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:08 AM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

JCSF150 ... Just washed the wheels with water and now they are cranking out a big squeal. After 1/2 mile the squeal stops.
Not unusual and perfectly normal. A light layer of rust forms on the rotors as the result of water hitting the bare, hot, metal surfaces of the rotors.

Same situation happens when parking the vehicle when it's humid.

Applying the brakes removes the rust and the rotors return to their shiney, bare self. It's just a matter of dragging the brakes (slow speed, light pedal pressure, over a short distance) to clear-up the squeaking.

Again ... WAD (Working As Designed).
Old 10-17-2014, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by gDMJoe
Not unusual and perfectly normal. A light layer of rust forms on the rotors as the result of water hitting the bare, hot, metal surfaces of the rotors.

Same situation happens when parking the vehicle when it's humid.

Applying the brakes removes the rust and the rotors return to their shiney, bare self. It's just a matter of dragging the brakes (slow speed, light pedal pressure, over a short distance) to clear-up the squeaking.

Again ... WAD (Working As Designed).

Thanks for the info, but I've owned many cars in my 30 year driving career and I've never had to deal with this as a chronic issue. Sure the calipers go bad and it squeaks until fixed, but to have to apply brakes everyday to stop the squeak should not be "WAD". I expect more for $40k...
Ford customer service has reached out, which is fantastic, proactive customer management. Now we just need to fix it, so I don't have to ride the brakes or wake up my neighbors every morning.

Quick Reply: 2012 low miles and SQUEAKY BRAKES