General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 F150 - Multiple Warning lights while driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 F150 - Multiple Warning lights while driving

About 3 weeks ago my dash board started lighting up with warning lights while driving. Everything from Service Trac, Low Oil, the wrench, 4x4, etc...While driving the 4x4 started grinding briefly a couple of times. I was driving at low speep 50 kmph (30 MPH).

When I arriveed home I started the truck on my driveway the warning lights started up again so I hooked up my OBD reader and was suprised to see no codes. I checked the battery and the posts where corroded so I cleand them and my truck started fine and the codes disappeared. So I chalked it up to battery corrosion.

This morning (April 22/24) I tried to start my truck and nothing, no turnover but the dash lights went on and the warning lights started up again. I notice a new warning light "ignition fault" or something to that effect. I suspect the fact that the engine didn't turn over it was related to the "ignition fault" warning. I tried multiple times to see if the engine would turn over (5 or 6 x's) and it finally started. The warning lights appeared again while in park on the driveway. I cleaned the battery posts again and it starrted fine with no warning lights. No OBD codes either. I did not use my truck over the weekend so it sat from Friday eveing to Monday morning (not sure if this means anything)

I suspect the issues are electrical. I have read, in this forum, for newer F150 models the possible problem was a loose or corroded wiring harness wires.

Any ideas?

Last edited by skt99; 04-22-2024 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-22-2024, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I wish thus was answered

Originally Posted by skt99
About 3 weeks ago my dash board started lighting up with warning lights while driving. Everything from Service Trac, Low Oil, the wrench, 4x4, etc...While driving the 4x4 started grinding briefly a couple of times. I was driving at low speep 50 kmph (30 MPH).

When I arriveed home I started the truck on my driveway the warning lights started up again so I hooked up my OBD reader and was suprised to see no codes. I checked the battery and the posts where corroded so I cleand them and my truck started fine and the codes disappeared. So I chalked it up to battery corrosion.

This morning (April 22/24) I tried to start my truck and nothing, no turnover but the dash lights went on and the warning lights started up again. I notice a new warning light "ignition fault" or something to that effect. I suspect the fact that the engine didn't turn over it was related to the "ignition fault" warning. I tried multiple times to see if the engine would turn over (5 or 6 x's) and it finally started. The warning lights appeared again while in park on the driveway. I cleaned the battery posts again and it starrted fine with no warning lights. No OBD codes either. I did not use my truck over the weekend so it sat from Friday eveing to Monday morning (not sure if this means anything)

I suspect the issues are electrical. I have read, in this forum, for newer F150 models the possible problem was a loose or corroded wiring harness wires.

Any ideas?
I really wish I knew what this could be or if tou ever found out the issue as I'm having a vedy similar if not idneticsl problem except mine will actually do this and **** down while drivng.
Old 04-24-2024, 07:10 PM

Received 279 Likes on 220 Posts

Some harness connectors at the BCM have been known to come loose or disturbed.
Maybe take a look there.
Old Today, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skt99

When I arrived home I started the truck on my driveway the warning lights started up again so I hooked up my OBD reader and was suprised to see no codes. I checked the battery and the posts where corroded so I cleand them and my truck started fine and the codes disappeared. So I chalked it up to battery corrosion.

Any ideas?

***UPDATE*** May 3rd 2024
I had a friend check my Starter with a screw driver and it appeared the starter was bad. It would spin but no engagement to crank the engine.

I brought it to a local Service Station. He changed the starter ($500 CDN taxes in) and still no start. So it wasn't the Starter. He said he didnt have the diagnotic equipment to deeper as the OBDII failed to connect to read any trouble codes. He said to take it to a a Ford dealer or shop that specializes in Auto electric issues.

I called the local Ford dealer to schedule an appointment. Over the phone the guy said upfront charges would be $450 CDN in diagnostics. He sked if I was OK with that cahrge. I needed my Truck operational so I scheduled for Tuesday May 7th. I thought that charge was outrageaous but I had no choice.

Yesterday May 2nd I called Ace Auto & Electric after Goolgeing Auto/Electric shops in the ares. I explained the issue and they said bring it in. So I had it towed there May 2nd around noon.

Today May 3rd at 11 am I got a call saying my Truck was ready.

This is what the invoice said.

"CHECK NO CRANK. SCAN. TEST CIRCUITS AND SIGNALS, TRACE OPEN HIGH SPEED COMMUNICATION FAULTS TO CORRODED WIRES IN DRIVERS DOOR SILL HARNESS. ACCESSAND REPAIR MULTIPLE WIRES, CLEAR CODES, ROAD TEST OK"

The charge was $700 CDN taxes in. I was beyond happy with the charge. In fact I wanted to race over there and pay before they changed their mind. Had I taken it to the dealer I would have been at least $2K to $3K. They would have replace the computer amoung other "things" they may have "found". Probably would have taken 3 or 4 days too. Like I said earlier their Diagnostic charge was $450.

If you are having similar electrical issues ditch the dealer and go to a shop that specializes in Auto/Electric. It was a family owned shop. The women who took my payment said that they have been in business since 1959. They found my electrical issue in the driver side door harness but it could be any harness that could be subject to corossion. I guess I could have saved $500 on the new starter but that took me to the Auto/Electric shop. Like I said a dealer would have charged between $2k to $3K. So I am still way ahead.

I hope this helps others out there.

Last edited by skt99; Today at 03:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BlkNBlu (Today)
Old Today, 08:27 PM

Received 997 Likes on 674 Posts

A lot of times, a failing battery will mess up your electronic systems.

Quick Reply: 2012 F150 - Multiple Warning lights while driving