Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 XLT 5.0 6-speed Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2011 XLT 5.0 6-speed Transmission

Hi all,
Recently bought a 2011 XLT 4x4 11/10 manu. and am noticing some slight transmission problems. Hesitation while moving from a stopped position and/or low speed in parking lots and a slight burst with a minor bump. Also when going from drive to reverse there is a hesitation intermittently and a louder bump felt.

I have reviewed previous threads that seem to have the same issues. and read about a tcm reflash as well as a TSB. I am unfamiliar with these terms, Could someone explain them a bit so when I speak to the dealer service manager on Friday 3/14/2014 I can impart this knowledge if he is not already aware?

I had a '98 F150 4x2 4.6L for 14 years and got 292k miles on it before the trans. finally crapped out. With that track record I went with another hoping for the same. So I am a bit concerned about this trans.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:31 AM

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I had a slight "bump" when shifting between 3-4 in my 2013. I just brought it to the dealership told them the issue. As long as they can duplicate it they will check for any software update to the PCM. If there is one this is the first thing they will attempt. Most of the time this is the fix unless there is something physically wrong with your tranny. This is rather painless. The TSB is a service bulletin that helps the dealers lookup common issues and the TSB will instruct them how to do the fix. I'm not familiar with the TSB out there but if there is one they will find it and apply the fix as directed. I assume you are under warranty still?
The following users liked this post:
Kevo40 (03-17-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 01:09 PM

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevo40
Hi all,
Recently bought a 2011 XLT 4x4 11/10 manu. and am noticing some slight transmission problems. Hesitation while moving from a stopped position and/or low speed in parking lots and a slight burst with a minor bump. Also when going from drive to reverse there is a hesitation intermittently and a louder bump felt.

I have reviewed previous threads that seem to have the same issues. and read about a tcm reflash as well as a TSB. I am unfamiliar with these terms, Could someone explain them a bit so when I speak to the dealer service manager on Friday 3/14/2014 I can impart this knowledge if he is not already aware?

I had a '98 F150 4x2 4.6L for 14 years and got 292k miles on it before the trans. finally crapped out. With that track record I went with another hoping for the same. So I am a bit concerned about this trans.

Thanks in advance.
T.S.B - Technical.Service.Bulletin.

As the other poster said, it provides repair steps for a known issue from the manufacturer. It's very similar to what is done with a safety recall, except since the issue is not safety related, the manufacturer is not required to notify the owner that there may be an issue with the vehicle. If they can replicate your issue at the shop, they'll search their database (Oasis) to see if there are any TSBs related to the issue and go from there.

I have an '11, 5.0, XLT with the 6 speed transmission and have experience hard shifts from 1st to 2nd occasionally and once or twice I have had some hesitation when I shift into reverse. I bought the truck new in fall of '11 and it has about 70,000 miles on it now. The frequency of these issues has not increased over this period of time.
Kevo40 (03-17-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 01:13 PM

Yes, at this time it is still under warranty for another month for comprehensive and til 2018 for powertrain. Seems like a minor problem that does not get worse.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:43 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevo40
Hi all,
Recently bought a 2011 XLT 4x4 11/10 manu. and am noticing some slight transmission problems. Hesitation while moving from a stopped position and/or low speed in parking lots and a slight burst with a minor bump...
Hi Kevo40,

It looks like a few folks have already chimed in to assist with this one. Keep me in the loop and be sure to let us know how things go at the dealership. If you'd like me to step in and get involved, send me a PM with your information and I'll look into ways to help. I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal
Old 03-17-2014, 12:37 PM

I had the truck l reviewed at a local delership and they were able to duplicate the issues. The technician informed me that there are 6 TSBs that pertain to the transmission and that parts are needed to perform the repair. However, one part is on back order and will not be available until April.

I hope this takes care of the problem.

If the comrephensive and powertrain warranties are still in effect, then would this be free to me? Haven't had these warranties in a long time.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:57 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

Yes sir, if your under warranty there's no charge. Glad to hear it will be taken care of.
Kevo40 (03-17-2014)

Quick Reply: 2011 XLT 5.0 6-speed Transmission