General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 FX4 fuel door broke

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 FX4 fuel door broke

Hello. Haven't been on here in a while. I have a question for y'all. The fuel door won't shut and remain closed. I was putting in some gas and when I finished I closed the fuel door and it wouldn't stay closed. Seems obvious it's a spring that's broke. Will this require a replacement of the assembly or a simple spring replacement? I found a post for an older model indicating the fuel door assembly will have to be replaced. Thanks for any info and help

Just to let you know if it's of interest, this is the first issue whatsoever on my 2011 Ecoboost in 38k miles. The Ecoboost is doing its thing and is still a blast to drive. Fuel mileage is 17.5 for my day to day driving - a mix of highway and city. Around 22 mpg as I recall on the highway during trips at 75 mph mostly.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:06 PM

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts

Take it to the dealer mine broke out of warranty and they fixed it they told me they see it alot
Old 03-23-2015, 06:11 PM
Ford Accessories Manager

Received 189 Likes on 149 Posts

It is pretty common, you need to replace the inner housing. The painted door just slides off, they're super easy to replace if you know what you're doing. 5 min. job, will take longer to drive it in the shop than to actually change it.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:38 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimineer
Hello. Haven't been on here in a while. I have a question for y'all. The fuel door won't shut and remain closed. I was putting in some gas and when I finished I closed the fuel door and it wouldn't stay closed. Seems obvious it's a spring that's broke. Will this require a replacement of the assembly or a simple spring replacement? I found a post for an older model indicating the fuel door assembly will have to be replaced. Thanks for any info and help

Just to let you know if it's of interest, this is the first issue whatsoever on my 2011 Ecoboost in 38k miles. The Ecoboost is doing its thing and is still a blast to drive. Fuel mileage is 17.5 for my day to day driving - a mix of highway and city. Around 22 mpg as I recall on the highway during trips at 75 mph mostly.
Having the dealer take a look at this is the best first step, Jimineer; have you been in contact with them? Feel free to use this tool to get an appointment scheduled. Please let me know how it goes. I'll keep my eyes peeled for an update!

Brittany
Old 03-23-2015, 07:29 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Free fix for common fuel door issue.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:19 PM

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
Free fix for common fuel door issue.
Sweet... Now I just need to figure out how to remove that part in order to fix it...
Old 03-25-2015, 05:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ABN Panzer
Sweet... Now I just need to figure out how to remove that part in order to fix it...
3 screws around the gas pipe when you open the door. There is a small clip that holds it in also you will see when pulling it out.
The following users liked this post:
ABN Panzer (03-26-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 10:05 AM

Wow... I guess I was thinking it was more difficult than this.
THANKS! Will finally work it this weekend. Damn thing has been broken for a year
Old 04-04-2015, 03:25 PM

Finally got it done... So glad I didn't pay to have it fixed
Old 06-06-2015, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SilentJoker
3 screws around the gas pipe when you open the door. There is a small clip that holds it in also you will see when pulling it out.
I have the same issue and have watched all the videos. Ive taken the screws out and I'm pushing on this clip as hard as I possible can. Almost breaking skin on my fingers and I can't get this housing out. It's pissing me off cause I see how to fix it . I just can't get it out for the life of me. And I don't want to pay someone. WTF

Quick Reply: 2011 FX4 fuel door broke