General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 5.4L was running great then started misfiring like crazy

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 5.4L was running great then started misfiring like crazy

The other day on the way home from work, the truck was running great until about five minutes after leaving work. I was accelerating and all of the sudden around 35 mph it just fell on its face and wouldn't accelerate anymore. It then started to misfire on what felt like half the cylinders. When I pulled up to a light the truck was continuing to misfire, and stalled out at one point. I got it off the road, and eventually drove it home. Left it parked for around 10 minutes and took it up to the Auto parts store to have it plugged in. But on the way there it was running much better. When they plugged it in, it said it was missing on cylinders 5,7,8, and had multiple random misfire codes. It also threw some codes for the O2 sensors, and codes for the camshaft position sensor. Decided to get new camshaft sensors, and on the way home to put them on it was running great, no misfire what so ever. Replaced the sensors, took it for a drive, and still was running great. Then the next day got in to go to work and it wasn't misfiring still, but about half way to work, it felt like it lost power and started to misfire real bad again. Left it off all day, went to start it again after work, and still misfiring like crazy. The truck is a 2005 F150 Fx4 with only 54,000 miles on it. I'm stumped on what it could be. Anyone have similar issues before? If so how did you fix it?
Old 03-16-2018, 08:10 PM

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

check for water in the pcm, its mounted in a bad spot and could be getting moisture inside.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turns out the problem was the VCT Solenoid, one of the screens was busted causing it to be stuck open
Old 03-17-2018, 03:35 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Wow.. how did you find that ? Glad you got her fixed.

Quick Reply: 2005 5.4L was running great then started misfiring like crazy