Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.7 Ecoboost MPG and reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 07:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 2.7 Ecoboost MPG and reliability?

I went in to buy a Ram eco diesel crew cab only to learn they can't be had and nobody knows when they'll be back on the market. I commute 100 miles a day round trip so I was looking for something better on gas. My commute is half country back roads and half highway.

I drove the Ram V6 and Hemi while I was there. The MPG savings of the V6 don't seem to be enough to compel me to skip the Hemi.

I drove the 2.7 Ecoboost today.

My take away is the Ram is a little more comfortable and has better "bells and whistles" and the ride seems a little nicer. The F150 had more "practical" options. What would push me over the edge to the Ford is if that 2.7 is all they say it is. What are people REALLY getting for gas mileage? Does the 2.7 have enough power for towing when it's needed?

What is the experience of people who actually own and drive it, not some sales person.

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2017, 08:40 PM
I know it's backwards

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts

I've only had mine for about one month, but so far I'm loving it. My previous truck was an 07 f-150 with the 5.4 and this little 2.7 blows it away. You'll never need all the power this thing has. As far as towing....I've only towed my snowmobiles so far. Too early for the boat, but with two sleds in an enclosed trailer I hardly knew it was there.

I commute 50 miles per day. Almost all highway, but I also do some driving around town. Right now I'm averaging about 20 mpg. It's been going up every tank full. That could be because it's breaking in or because the weather is getting warmer. I've been hearing that other's have had about a 3 mpg increase during the summer over winter so I'm looking forward to seeing what I get in the summer.

I know people say "don't buy a truck for gas mileage", but since I need a truck, I need it to get the best mileage possible. I'm going to keep a close eye on it because that's the sole reason I traded in my 07. I loved the truck, but it was bleeding me dry. So far I'm pretty happy. I've gone from a little over $50 a week to around $40 in 8 days even with an increase in gas prices and it keeps getting better.

Good luck on your choice!
Old 04-18-2017, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by BlacKnBack
I've only had mine for about one month, but so far I'm loving it. My previous truck was an 07 f-150 with the 5.4 and this little 2.7 blows it away. You'll never need all the power this thing has. As far as towing....I've only towed my snowmobiles so far. Too early for the boat, but with two sleds in an enclosed trailer I hardly knew it was there.

I commute 50 miles per day. Almost all highway, but I also do some driving around town. Right now I'm averaging about 20 mpg. It's been going up every tank full. That could be because it's breaking in or because the weather is getting warmer. I've been hearing that other's have had about a 3 mpg increase during the summer over winter so I'm looking forward to seeing what I get in the summer.

I know people say "don't buy a truck for gas mileage", but since I need a truck, I need it to get the best mileage possible. I'm going to keep a close eye on it because that's the sole reason I traded in my 07. I loved the truck, but it was bleeding me dry. So far I'm pretty happy. I've gone from a little over $50 a week to around $40 in 8 days even with an increase in gas prices and it keeps getting better.

Good luck on your choice!
Thanks! I'm in the same boat. A truck would certainly make my life easier. Since I need it, I want to get the best mileage possible. I really liked the Ram, but it seems like the F150 is the smart choice for several reasons.

Since you're in NH, would you mind telling me where you got it?
Old 04-18-2017, 08:50 PM
I know it's backwards

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts

I got mine at AutoFair. Not my favorite place cause you really have to wait them out, but I knew what I wanted to pay and they were the only one's that came through. I went to Unique and to Grappone before them and they couldn't do it.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by BlacKnBack
I got mine at AutoFair. Not my favorite place cause you really have to wait them out, but I knew what I wanted to pay and they were the only one's that came through. I went to Unique and to Grappone before them and they couldn't do it.
Thanks. I was thinking of giving AutoFair a call if it doesn't work out at Best. So far, so good, though.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:05 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

My 2015 2.7 SCAB with 37k trouble free miles Now shows 24.9 MPG on the lie meter life time never reset trip 2 from new. Hand calculated over 10 fill ups 22.87 this includes 3 trips towing Jeep and gear on a flat bed from west of Phoenix AZ to Moab UT and return.
This little engine can and does.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:06 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

My 2.7 scab with 2k miles gets about 23 highway but drops sharply in st louis. In the city im about averaging 18. The truck is 4x4 with all terrain tires. My father has a hemi ram 4x4 almost identical setup and acceleration wise he cant even come close to me.

Trending Topics

Old 04-19-2017, 04:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

my stock 16 f150 2.7 EB crew cab average about 16mpgfor 15k miles, mostly local in the bay area. took a road trip down south to san diego for spring break, 4 people mostly high way, average 18mpg for 1k miles. of course on i-5 you cruise around 85mph, but to me the gas milage is not that great on 2.7eb.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:33 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I can't speak on behalf of the ecoboost, but I can state that the diesel is a great choice, no matter which brand. If you want the diesel, wait for it or go another model diesel.

I test drove a diesel with a trailer connected at a dealership (they had a trailer with 7K of weight); it sold me. I will never go the route of a gas engine again in a truck that gets towing duties.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:24 AM

Received 855 Likes on 373 Posts

I came to the 2016 2.7EB from 4 years and 100,000 miles in a 2012 F150 with the 5.0 V8.
The 5.0 is a great engine in my experience with it.
The 4300 miles I've put on the 2.7 since late January this year tell me it is too. Effortless power and I'm seeing 23mpg on the last 2 tanks of fuel and an average of 21.6 on the lie-o-meter over those 4300.
The 2.7 goes about it's business with no drama. The 1st time I went up the on ramp to I-459 from work, headed home, I thought to myself "damn". The 5.0 always made all the right V8 sounds coming up that ramp headed to freeway speed. 3000-3500 rpm. The 2.7, basically silently, was just suddenly transporting me 70mph and needing fewer rpm to do it. You can't even it hear it running while on cruise control at 72.
I was a bit skeptical going in.
I'm over that now......

Last edited by David Jones; 04-19-2017 at 11:30 AM.