Topic Sponsor
Super Duty Forum Talk about Super Duty and Heavy Duty Ford trucks here.

superduty tire question load range D

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default superduty tire question load range D

I'm looking to upgrade to a F250 or F350 this year and doing my research I have run across a tire question that I haven't been able to find a definite answer to here or elsewhere on the internet. I'm considering going to a larger tire and I'm confused about the Load Range letter rating system. If I go to a larger tire that has a higher load capacity, say a D tire rated to 3525lbs instead of a E tire rated to 3195, is this acceptable or is there something I'm missing. Nearest I can tell the E rated tire just has a stiffer sidewall which might cut down on sway or offer better protection off road. Any clarity you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Treiz; 01-23-2020 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:00 PM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

I can't give you a technical answer, only my opinion. But I'd stick with an "E" rated tire on an F250 or F350 if I actually planned to haul or tow heavier loads. This is my reasoning. The P series tires that come from the factory on most 1/2 ton trucks are rated for far more weight than the trucks will carry. But anyone who has actually towed or hauled near the max loads knows that E series tires work better.

A "D" rated tire is going to be rated for the same weight as a P series tire if in the same size and brand. If you aren't going to be pushing the limits on weight the "D" rated tires may work just as well.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not planning to tow heavy, I just need a truck that meets my performance requirements. I was planning to build a Tundra or a F150 but by the time I have added the mods I plan to do, there's little payload left for me to work with.

Quick Reply: superduty tire question load range D