Topic Sponsor
Super Duty Forum Talk about Super Duty and Heavy Duty Ford trucks here.

6.7L SD Shudder

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 01:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 6.7L SD Shudder

Has anyone else experienced shuddering at highway speeds under acceleration? Has happened a couple of times to me. I think may be associated with "Exhuast Cleaning"...But wondering if anyone else has had same issue on the 6.7L. I'm at about 6k miles now. Thx!
Old 01-14-2016, 01:56 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by GlobalPilot
Has anyone else experienced shuddering at highway speeds under acceleration? Has happened a couple of times to me. I think may be associated with "Exhuast Cleaning"...But wondering if anyone else has had same issue on the 6.7L. I'm at about 6k miles now. Thx!
Hey GlobalPilot,

Since you're concerned, I'd recommend swinging by your dealership so they can take a look. If you'd like, I can arrange for your regional customer service manager to get involved. Just send over your details in a PM, including your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal
Old 01-18-2016, 10:46 AM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

In the meantime, try manually down shifting to increase RPMs as some say that stops the shudder. The exhaust cleaning typically lasts 20-30 miles so when you have the problem it can be long after you see the message flash on the screen.
It is a known problem where the valve stem/guide is insufficient on some engines and causes binding during regens. You may be told it is normal, but replacing the left head can fix the problem if the new head is checked for proper clearance by having the valve springs pulled.
Good luck.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:55 PM

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I get a big lag here and there, but no shudder

Quick Reply: 6.7L SD Shudder