5.4 timing chain noise - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Super Duty Forum Talk about Super Duty and Heavy Duty Ford trucks here.

5.4 timing chain noise

Old 05-17-2017, 01:46 AM   #1

Default 5.4 timing chain noise

I've researched this but to no avail. All my searches wind up with cam phaser engines. Mine is a 99 5.4. Built years before cam phasers. This past week I started noticing a slight noise in the engine. I listened to it and found two noisy bearings, one in belt tensioner and one in idler. I replaced the bearings and also the buzzing pcv valve and thought I had it fixed..... next day..... after driving truck for a couple hours it came back. Stethoscope to it again... r valve cover loud. It sure sounds like timing chain. Now to my issue. I've replaced MANY phasers in the past, but never have I seen this on the good old bulletproof Vin L 5.4... is this common and I've just never ran across it? I'm assuming it's a broken tensioner or guide shoe. At any rate, thought I had me a good 5.4..... now I'm realizing nothing is bulletproof! Thoughts?....
All4henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:57 PM   #2

The reason I posted this was to find out if I need to be looking for other problems whIle I have her torn down. Or if there are any updates I should do while I'm in there. I'm guessing so far that no one has seen this on the Vin L 5.4. But if anyone has any info I'd much appreciate it.
All4henry is offline   Reply With Quote