Topic Sponsor
Super Duty Forum Talk about Super Duty and Heavy Duty Ford trucks here.

2015-16 F-250 SOTF or floor manual 4x4 shift?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 03:42 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2015-16 F-250 SOTF or floor manual 4x4 shift?

Does Ford still use a floor mounted 4x4 manual shifter (stick) for the transfer case on the 2015's-16's. I was looking it up on the Ford site and it said manual for standard equipment on the XLT 4x4 and SOTF as optional? In other words a separate 4x4 engage floor stick shift w/automatic trans (like my 98' has) or as listed "optional" electronic SOTF dash mounted switch? The website isn't that specific about it and I haven't seen any pictures of one yet.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tractive55LS
Does Ford still use a floor mounted 4x4 manual shifter (stick) for the transfer case on the 2015's-16's. I was looking it up on the Ford site and it said manual for standard equipment on the XLT 4x4 and SOTF as optional? In other words a separate 4x4 engage floor stick shift w/automatic trans (like my 98' has) or as listed "optional" electronic SOTF dash mounted switch? The website isn't that specific about it and I haven't seen any pictures of one yet.
When I was looking at the dealerships inventory I'm almost 100% positive I saw 4x4 floor shifter models on the lot. If fact the first gentleman I spoke with (was supposed to be their truck seller) Didn't even know you could get them with the SOTF

Either way I know they come with manual hubs. Not sure if the floor shifter engages the hubs or not. Since I got the SOTF, on my 2014, If it ever fails to engage the hubs I can get out and do it manually, something I didn't know originally.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:50 AM

Thanks, I definitely want the 4x4 floor shift so as not to deal with all the electronic failures as it ages. That is when I do eventually step up to an F-250 4X4.

I was wondering if the new F-250's faired better than the new F150 extended cabs in the latest IIHS safety tests. The new *F150 crewcabs got high marks, but the *supercabs didn't?
Old 08-07-2015, 10:11 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

When I ordered my 2015 F250, you could order the floor shifter but only in certain configurations and my understanding is you had to manually lock the hubs, like in the older models.
Old 08-08-2015, 04:23 AM

I just stopped by a local dealer today to gander at some F-250's, none of them had a manual 4x4 floor shift, although they only had 5 in-stock?
Old 08-08-2015, 09:53 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I just stopped by a local dealer today to gander at some F-250's, none of them had a manual 4x4 floor shift, although they only had 5 in-stock?
Same here. All I seen ,out of the dozen 4X4's on the lot yesterday, were all dash mounted shifts.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:32 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Most will have the SOTF as it is required with other options.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:23 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

IIRC the floor shifter is only available on XLT and XL trims, nothing higher. Those are the only ones where SOTF is optional.

Most dealerships will order their stock from a most commonly requested items list. Pretty much how when I bought my F150 STX, all the ones on the lot had carpet, even though vinyl is standard.

SOTF is most likely going to be ordered by most dealerships on every truck they have. If you want a floor shifter and don't have a large enough dealership near by I would say order it. That's if the wait is worth it to you .

The dealership I was at had over a hundred F250s combined on their 3 lots. But you could still see a pattern. Basic budget build XL models, Utility budget build XLTs, Budget build XLT 4x4s with 6.2L priced at 46k, then straight to Lariat 6.7L FX4s all built with the same options and priced the same in every color. Then the few King ranch and Platinum fully loaded. Fleet XLs, and XLTs 4x4s had floor shifters.

Last edited by EricTheMarine; 08-09-2015 at 02:25 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:53 AM

It's sucks how now an XLT is just a low end trim package, used to be top end years ago, then they added the Lariat. My 98' is badged XLT, but shows up as a Lariat every time it's looked up, by ins, Ford dealer, or parts searches, strange? It has all the bells and whistles except a sun roof. Well at leas it seems to be order-able then. I hope they keep offering it that way for years to come. There's nothing like locking it in with the shift handle IMO! And that does shift-on-the-fly, up to 55 mph on viscous surfaces.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:04 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

It's sucks how now an XLT is just a low end trim package, used to be top end years ago, then they added the Lariat. My 98' is badged XLT, but shows up as a Lariat every time it's looked up, by ins, Ford dealer, or parts searches, strange? It has all the bells and whistles except a sun roof. Well at leas it seems to be order-able then. I hope they keep offering it that way for years to come. There's nothing like locking it in with the shift handle IMO! And that does shift-on-the-fly, up to 55 mph on viscous surfaces.
Used to be people bought trucks to use them but now it seems trucks have more luxury items than really needed. An XLT is all I need as driving off road 2 days a week will only make a Platinum look like sh*t in no time.
My current XLT 150 has every option I ever need in a truck but I am going to order a Lariat 250 soon only because its not much more $ with my A plan pricing.
The following users liked this post:
sportster07 (08-10-2015)

Quick Reply: 2015-16 F-250 SOTF or floor manual 4x4 shift?