Topic Sponsor
Super Duty Forum Talk about Super Duty and Heavy Duty Ford trucks here.

2011 6.2 water temperature

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2011 6.2 water temperature

I thought I'd come here to hopefully get true answers.

I have a Scanguage II to monitor the engine. My water temps do not get near 190 unless I'm doing hot runs. I've been watching them run steady at under 180. I feel like I'm in a GM built product, because I need to keep the fan and heat turned up. I have been in coveralls and heavy coat, and do not sweat. Had it into local dealer a month or so ago. Said the 186 degrees he say was within spec, idling in the shop.

I only have a little over 20,000 miles thought this would be covered under warranty yet?

Checked for aftermarket thermostats, and they are all spec'd as 192 thermostats. Shouldn't I have 190 plus running temps, no matter how cold it is?

I had a 06 6.0 diesel. Out of warranty, had same issue 186 degree temps. I replaced the thermostat in it, ended up with 190 degree temps, steady no dropping off, when decelerating to a stop, and my fuel mileage increased a solid 1 mpg. Not to mention the increase in heat from it.

I'm looking for you guys idea's, before I just go buy the thermostat and replace it myself. another forum I was told to put cardboard infront of the grille.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:56 AM

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Maybe try covering some of the front of the radiator for the colder months?
Old 12-09-2013, 03:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm curious about this too because though I don't have the scan gauge hooked up the dummy gauge always reads pretty low. I have absolutely no concerns about the heat though, this thing will cook you.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:52 PM

Well, thought I'd update. Said self, "Heck with Ford Service" I went to Napa and bought a thermostat, and it took me less than a hour to install. Short drive since visiblility was only 2 car lengths. I had readings of 191-197 degrees. I think I'm gonna have to turn the heat down like my previous fords. Will try to remember to update if the gas mileage has increased.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:30 PM

Update, It is hot in here (running temps 193-197. No more fan on high, and temp control on high, way too hot . MPG's are back to 13-14+ (depending some on wind), acceptable for winter was down around 10-12 at beginning of winter. Very happy with myself, should have done it sooner.

Quick Reply: 2011 6.2 water temperature