Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Won't start when hot

Old 08-21-2017, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Won't start when hot

I have a 1984 F150, with a 351 Windsor, that starts right up when cold. Once I've driven it for a while and the engine is hot it's hard to restart. Any idea as to what would be causing this problem?
Old 08-21-2017, 07:42 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

Does the starter spin the engine over at normal speed when hot? If yes, first thought would be the gas is leaking from the carburetor and somewhat flooding the engine.

If you shut the engine off when hot and restart it right away, does it start easy then?
The following users liked this post:
1967 Tempest (08-22-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 02:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Several things come to mind for this. So bare with me. One is the heat riser off the exhaust manifold going to the air intake. There is a valve that opens once the engine warms up, and feeds the carb. outside air. If it is failing to open, then the air going in the combustion chamber may be too hot and burning the fuel vapors before they get to the cylinders. Second, take off the EGR, and soak it in acetone for about an hour. If it is clogged up, then your engine will rough idle, and starting will be ****ty. Also could be, and is most likely, your intake manifold gasket. No need to replace it really, but I can bet you that most all of the bolts are loose. I had all of these mentioned problems on my 86 with the 4.9. Anyway, you need only to remove a few top engine items to be able to use a torque wrench and tighten the bolts to the required 22-30 ft lbs. for the 3/8" bolts, and 19 to 25 ft lbs for the 5/16" bolts. Also check the exhaust manifold to intake manifold bolts in the front of the engine for tightness. I know on the 4.9 they come loose, but not sure about the Windsor. Finally, check the vacuum delay valve for operation. It may be leaving your vacuum advanced. This one is also likely. Hope this is helpful.

Search this Thread