Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Where is the Coolant Temperature Switch on 86 F150 4.9? Or where do you put an afterm

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the Coolant Temperature Switch on 86 F150 4.9? Or where do you put an afterm

Working on a cooling system issue and wondering if anyone knows:

1) Where this switch is located on the truck?

2) Is this a good place to put this aftermarket gauge?

Saw this old thread here, but does not say where the switch is. History of what has already been done/original thread on the issue still going is here.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:30 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Passenger side rear of the engine block, hidden behind the manifolds
Old 02-15-2018, 02:25 PM

does anyone have a picture of the location they could post?
Old 02-16-2018, 09:55 AM

i cant figure out how to get to it
Old 02-16-2018, 11:57 AM

That's the only picture I've got that's close. Last time I looked for one of those it would have beenkind of above the frost plug you can see behind the rear exhaust manifold; that general area anyway. You have to pretty well stand on your head in that corner of the engine bay to see it.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:00 PM

I'm thinking your efforts would be better spent on a system pressure test and maybe checking for a faulty or improperly installed thermostat first.
For what that's worth.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:57 PM

thank you for posting picture. am curious about
efforts would be better spent on a system pressure test and maybe checking for a faulty or improperly installed thermostat first.
as i was following
Get an aftermarket temp gauge...simple install to eliminate doubt

perhaps you say "efforts better spent" as it does not seem so "simple install."

even with the pic i can't figure out how to get to it. I came across below here.
. Can I get to the other one from the top of the engine or do i need to go under the truck ?
Either way, it's probably easier from the top but you can't really see it so you kind of just have to do it by feel. You can see it from underneath, but it's hard to reach up there. I can get to mine through the wheel well, but I have a 3" body lift
if anyone has some specific direction or experience on how to get to this, please advise. i have tried searching and not been able to find any thread with more specific report on an actual experience or pics.

because of the fluctuating gauge readings (alternately at perfectly fine), it was suggested to get an aftermarket gauge that will provide the actual temp and go to Tstat possible stuck/ pressure test for invisible leak once actual readings are known if needed.

thanks again.

Last edited by 86ford1; 02-16-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:30 PM

also, once i get to it- can i fit it with a brass T to put the factory gauge and the after market both at this location?
i read this regarding trying to have both gauges on FTE forum:

"Oil pressure gauge is easy. Just go buy some 1/8 pipe fittings from Lowes and plumb it in with a tee fitting, making a spot for the factory sending unit and the aftermarket gauge. Getting both temp gauges to work at the same time is not as easy. The probe for both gauges needs to be inserted in the coolant stream when the engine is running."
Old 02-22-2018, 08:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On my thermostat housing there was a second temperature sensor for the feedback carburetor system on my 1985, since I deleted all of the computer systems I had a second spot for a temperature sensor
Old 02-28-2018, 07:21 PM

Default Thank you

Suggestion to check for faulty thermostat first was right direction. After not being able to get to it to install the aftermarket gauge decided to take off thermostat and check it. Tested 3 times and it was not opening until 212 and not even right at 212. Had to sit in it for a while then it would start to open.

Lesson for me is ALWAYS TEST A THERMOSTAT BEFORE INSTALL after I went through 4! new ones that did not open at 195. They all opened at 205 or 210. These were Murray Plus 3359 and Murray Plus Ultra MU55359. Tested 3 times. I got a 180 and it opened at 190. Tested 3 times. It was the Murray Ultra 55358, so I went with that. I didn't have Motorcraft $20 that day and needed to get one on.

I also searched and found this on getting to the sender "I removed the plastic cover over the tire and was able to reach the temp sender." I looked at that and it seemed that would be the way to do it if needed in the future. I also do see an unused port on the thermostat housing that looks like it could take the aftermarket gauge there. I saw a question wondering if this would only give a temp reading after the thermostat is open though, so that seems to be a consideration.

For now, the factory gauge appears to have been telling it's "best truth" properly. With install of the tested 180 that opened at 190, it is reading as before the problem started. So it seems it was not an indicator problem in addition to the thermostat. Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge.

Quick Reply: Where is the Coolant Temperature Switch on 86 F150 4.9? Or where do you put an afterm