Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Trouble starting when hot.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trouble starting when hot.

My '86 F150, 5.0EFI will not start when it gets hot. If i give it fifteen minutes to cool down, it will crank up just fine. I don't have to give it any pedal or anything.
The first try,the starter spins just fine. It starts to drag a little after the second or third attempt and by the fourth is obviously not going to start.
I thought it was electrical since I had a magnetic coil pick up issue.
New parts: Full distributor with magnetic pickup, ignition module, idle air bypass valve, EGR valve, EGR sensor and starter relay.
I pulled a MAP and computer from another '86 EFI and it made no difference.
Any suggestions?
Old 11-28-2016, 02:34 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I hate to sound like Captain Obvious here but, I would look into replacing the starter with a Motorcraft reman. I shy away from the AP store's usual offerings.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:00 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Upgrade to a PMGR starter. Do a google search on it, there's tons of Ford owners that do it. The problem is caused by how close the starter is to the exhaust. It absorbs heat so this is a common problem that people refer to as "heat soak".

The PMGR upgrade will not only give you a smaller starter that doesn't get as close to the exhaust, it also has more torque so the truck starts faster. One of the best upgrades I've done to my truck.

Check on Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, they usually sell them for about $75