Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Starting help

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting help

OK guys new here I just bought a 85 with the 4.9 but it came with no key can someone help me figure out how to start it electrical was never my strong point

Old 07-22-2017, 10:22 PM

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Obvious answer

Take apart the steering column, get to the lock cylinder, and take it to a locksmith. Reinstall and use your new key.

You can test the ignition, timing, and fuel delivery without a key. Just cross the hot side of the starter solenoid with the small terminal on top. We always just used any thick piece of metal lying around, a screwdriver, or a pair of pliers.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To replace the ignition you will need to be able to turn it. If you need to you might try running a hot wire to the correct one on your coil pack and jumping the correct terminals on your starter solenoid but you will have to disconnect the hot wire to kill it if it will work.......... 85 had a feedback carb and computer that connected to the distributor so I dont know if you could do it all under the hood or if you would have to go into the collumn. I have a HEI on my truck that I installed and I know I could start it like I described if I needed to.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:39 AM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Without a key the lock pin must be drilled out in order to remove the old cylinder. Then just buy and install a new cylinder with new key. No need for a locksmith unless you want to use the old key in the new cylinder.
Google and/or search YT for instructions.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just completely gutted the old ignition system on my 86. The truck had a brain box, and the only thing it did was operated the emissions, and the timing curve. You could get power to the coil just to get it started, but I agree with just getting a key. You take apart the lock and remove the tumblers so you don't need a key at all if money is an issues right now. The only trouble I see with running a seperate power wire just to start it, is there are quite a few power wires running from the ignition switch to various parts of the system to make the ignition system run properly. There is power fromt eh switch to the "brain box", and also to the coil. In my opinion the ignition switch is needed to run everything right. Honestly, I would scrap the coil, "dumb box", distributor, and all the vacuum operated emissions and buy a vacuum advance distributor, ignition module, and coil for a 1980, then wire it up. My truck is so much simpler under the hood and runs great now. Much worth the $150 or so.