Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Speed Density EFI Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Density EFI Tuning

I have an '86 f150 5.0 with the Speed Density type efi and i know it's hit or mis as far as increasing air flow in and out of the engine. in some cases, the computer will lean out the air fuel mixture, and in others it works just fine. i'm planning on putting new gt40 heads on and high performance exhaust and cold air, and i was wandering if you could tune the computer for the new air flow? anyone who knows anything about it would be great help
Old 09-11-2010, 05:07 AM

id also like to know if you can get an ol truck like this tuned too. i dont wanna go through changed to mass air
Old 01-05-2012, 10:38 AM

Keep the set up mild and u shouldn't have to tune it
Old 01-05-2012, 06:56 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by '86er
I have an '86 f150 5.0 with the Speed Density type efi and i know it's hit or mis as far as increasing air flow in and out of the engine. in some cases, the computer will lean out the air fuel mixture, and in others it works just fine. i'm planning on putting new gt40 heads on and high performance exhaust and cold air, and i was wandering if you could tune the computer for the new air flow? anyone who knows anything about it would be great help
The problem is, because MAP does not measure actual air flow, the ECU does not know to compensate for extra flow. So it's not that the ECU is leaning it out, it just doesn't know to enrich it!

I've heard talk of replacing the stock Fuel pressure regulator w/ a adjustable & increasing PSI, but it's just talk. Don't know anybody that's done it. I wouldn't.

I could be wrong, but don't know OBD1 ECU's to be tuneable. However it's very easy to bump your base timing. 14BTDC as opposed to stock (10BTDC) is a respectable little kick in the ***.
See link.
This link also cover's ignition system upgrade, which I highly recommend: http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/show...ht=timing+bump

I drive an 87' 302 by the way.

Last edited by ymeski56; 01-05-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:12 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by ymeski56
The problem is, because MAP does not measure actual air flow, the ECU does not know to compensate for extra flow. So it's not that the ECU is leaning it out, it just doesn't know to enrich it!

I've heard talk of replacing the stock Fuel pressure regulator w/ a adjustable & increasing PSI, but it's just talk. Don't know anybody that's done it. I wouldn't.

I could be wrong, but don't know OBD1 ECU's to be tuneable. However it's very easy to bump your base timing. 14BTDC as opposed to stock (10BTDC) is a respectable little kick in the ***.
See link.
This link also cover's ignition system upgrade, which I highly recommend: http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/show...ht=timing+bump

I drive an 87' 302 by the way.
More info: https://www.f150forum.com/f10/about-...ng-bump-53159/

Quick Reply: Speed Density EFI Tuning