Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Smoking new engine with video

Old 10-22-2013, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoking new engine with video

I got this for my '80 Flareside. My old engine just had real low oil pressure.
This is "supposed" to have less than 300 miles on it and is an Oreilly's reman.
No warranty because it changed hands. The whine in the video is (I think) the timing gears. I'm ready to pull the head off right now but want to know what you guys think. Spark plugs are black after a few minutes and #1 is wet with oil.
[youtube]vMMW0XSFvlw[/youtube]
Old 10-22-2013, 03:25 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

If you haven't already removed belt and run engine with belt off, do so. Remember, the water pump will also not be turning so don't run engine very long. Hoping for an accessory bearing bad, alternator, water pump, or PS pump.

As for the smoke, I'm used to seeing smoke after new installations, however with the #1 being oily, I'm not liking that. At least do a compression check or even better put regulated shop air in thru #1 spark plug. Be careful, the engine will turn over pushing the piston to the bottom. Listen where the air is coming out, if thru the intake or exhaust, disconnect air and turn engine one revolution, now it should be at bottom dead center of the power stroke, connect air and listen in valve cover. Repeat again on cylinder #2 to compare the leakage. If tons of air is present in valve cover, something is wrong with the piston, rings or cylinder wall. Regulate the shop air down to about 5PSI. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
itlives (10-22-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 04:45 PM

Hey Bill, thanks for the reply. We did a compression check-
Dry-
1 - 120
2 - 130
3 - 135
4 - 120
5 - 130
6 - 130
Wet- all went up 5 lb.s but #6 went up 10 lb.s

Thanks for that tip with the air. I'll try it asap.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:31 PM

Readings look great, don't be concerned about 6 going up 10 PSA unlike the others. You have an interesting issue, keep us informed as to outcome. Any other input I can offer, it might be best to use the private message system as I sometimes loose track as to who I talk to. Again good luck.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:18 PM

Well, I tore the engine down. Whoever built it should be shot. The ring gap is almost 3/16". The top ring on #1 was broke in half.
I have the original block at the machine shop. The original block was all original. The guy said he'll build a complete short block for $525. I think that's a fair price.
So, I should be back in the truck in a couple of weeks depending on how much work keeps me away.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:58 AM

So much for O'Reiles. Sounds like your on the right track.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:41 PM

Update on this.I got it together with the fresh block and used the head off the Oreilly's engine -it was new.
It runs well but has a miss at idle after awhile. When I first get in it idles good. I can shut it down, go in and have a 30 minute lunch, come back out and it idles perfect. Then, after a little while, idles rough. Takes of good like "Hey, what's the problem?"
Maybe valve adjustment?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smoking new engine with video