Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

PMGR Starter

Old 10-21-2016, 04:27 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Default PMGR Starter

Finally did my PMGR starter install today on the '79, got sick of the heat soak giving me worries during short shut-off periods such as pumping gas. I've recommended this to many people on here and other forums and have never taken my own advice. Now I really wish I had done this a long time ago, truck starts faster than any of my other much newer vehicles.

Install took about an hour due to rusted bolts and a restrictive work space, in reality this can be done in about 10-15 minutes. The only snag I hit is that it didn't come with a wiring diagram and a lot of the guides online were for the older 3 post starter solenoids and not the 4 post that I have. So I've included a simple diagram below that I have made and verified it to work for these applications.

As far as buying the starter, it was cheaper than a stock replacement and works a billion times better. If you need a starter don't buy a direct replacement, and if you're having any issues its a worthy upgrade for a fair price. No more heat soak issues, more space, lighter, the list of positives goes on. I got mine from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard for about 70.

The quick explanation is that the new starter also has a solenoid attached to it. You'll remove the single thick wire from your old starter and attach it to the new starter's solenoid as shown (red). On your 4-post relay you need to swap the side that it's on (from right side to left side) because it should have constant power. You'll then run a new wire (yellow) from the right side of the 4 post solenoid down to the smallest post on the new starter solenoid. The S and I terminals on the 4 post (the little connections) are to be left as is. When I bought my starter it had a short connecting wire running from the small post to the top large post, that needed to be removed as it isn't used in this application.

Enjoy!
The following users liked this post:
84ordF150 (11-23-2016)

Search this Thread