Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Perplexed

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perplexed

Ok. Here is the deal. I am new to the forum and have been trolling for a bit reading and learning as much as possible. I am looking at an 86 F150 with a 302 in it. It runs good, sounds great and looks decent. However the current owner says it "blows the plug wires off" and won't stay in time. He thought it was caused by the headers, but putting manifold back on had no effect. "Wires get hot and it just isn't right". He now thinks it is because it was "chipped" by the PO and it needs a distributor. I am thinking coil and ignition control module. Am I close in my logic? Or should I just pass on this?
Old 10-29-2011, 01:16 AM
BLS

I guess it all comes down to dollars and cents. From what you're saying, I could easily believe it's got a bad distributor. And maybe it's gonna need everything else too. Cap, rotor, wires, coil, module, maybe even a timing chain too. Who knows. So, figure out what everything would cost, add that to the price of the truck and viola! Decide if you still want the truck!?!
Old 10-29-2011, 09:13 AM
Ford Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, pass. '86 was the first year for EFI. I had nothing but problems with the one I had. Played with it for a month or two then stripped it. F it!
Old 10-31-2011, 10:12 AM

True. But, I would think that in 25 years someone would have worked out the bugs in the first generation efi. Any other insight as to what to look at would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Perplexed