Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Low Oil Pressure, Low On Power...Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 12:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Low Oil Pressure, Low On Power...Advice?

I have an 84 f150 with a 300 straight 6 and 4 speed tranny. Replaced all the easy stuff plugs wires cap and rotor fuel pump coil got the carb rebuilt. Recently shes been running low pressure im going to buy a manual gauge to get a better reading but it for sure shows signs of low pressure. Shes low on power accelerates slow and barely goes over 55 mph. SLight ticking no knocks though. I was thinking to drop the pan change the pump clean some sludge as well as clean sludge on top by removing the valve cover.. Any other suggestions?
Old 03-15-2015, 12:07 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Cleaning the oil pickup screen might be just the thing. I'd be chasing that one first.
Also PCV as strange as that sounds.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:31 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

low pressure is pretty common on the 300 because the sensors at the *** end of the block.

do you have the feedback carb on that one, if i remember right its possible. if so check to make sure your O2 sensor is connected, if not it will go into limp home mode which eliminates timing advancement which means its really hard to get going fast, and it drives like a grandma.

if its not a feedback, check to make sure the vac is connected properly to the distributor

Quick Reply: Low Oil Pressure, Low On Power...Advice?