Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Identify a sensor: '85 302efi

Old 09-13-2016, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Identify a sensor: '85 302efi

Can anyone identify this part?

1985 f150, 302efi. Driver side intake manifold.

It's not the air intake temperature sensor, that is a little ways further forward and has a different connector. Is this a necessary sensor?

Thank you.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:49 PM
Senior

Received 119 Likes on 112 Posts

Could be a water temp sensor, I think there are two on you truck. One near the distributor and one near one of the plugs on the left side. I am not sure which is which, but if so then one goes to the computer and one to the instrument gauge/light.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:05 PM

Default Thanks.

Originally Posted by GhostriderI
Could be a water temp sensor, I think there are two on you truck. One near the distributor and one near one of the plugs on the left side. I am not sure which is which, but if so then one goes to the computer and one to the instrument gauge/light.
That would explain why the dash gauge is not working and there's an aftermarket temp gauge.

Thank you.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:07 AM

Default air charge temp vs knock sensor

I do believe this is the air charge sensor as the knock sensor is the other sensor in a similar location further back on the engine (nearer fire wall). the water temp sender is below the harness/loom in the photo, just below the disconnected plug (and slightly towards the rad), right angle connector, single wire. the computer temp sensor is just above where the top rad hose connects to the block and appears identical to the temp sender.

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/t...0/Engine50.jpg
Old 09-17-2016, 12:15 AM
Sgt Shawshank

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimford
Can anyone identify this part?

1985 f150, 302efi. Driver side intake manifold.

It's not the air intake temperature sensor, that is a little ways further forward and has a different connector. Is this a necessary sensor?

Thank you.
I've got the same question on my 91 351w. The coolant temp sensor for your gauge is on the right side of the manifold in the front, usually has a stud style connector. The temp sensor for your computer is on the left side in the heater pipe fitting. The air charge sensor is slightly forward of what youre wondering about and screws straight up and down. Best I've been able to figure out is that it's a knock sensor and it's not available. Anywhere. Unless by off chance you can find one setting in the back on a shelf at a ford dealership.

Does your temp gauge peg out to full hot? Or does it not rise at all?

Last edited by Seth; 09-17-2016 at 12:18 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Identify a sensor: '85 302efi