Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Headers?.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Headers?.

Hello: Had a question. I have a 1982 F-150 302 motor two into one exhaust. I want to change it to a true duel eshaust with headers.

I have to add one additional cat right? and are long or short headers better for regular driving?.How do i add the sensor into the system for the additional cat?.

Thanks for any advice. This site is great and helped me gete this truck on the road thanks guys
Old 06-29-2014, 09:56 AM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

I think i would go with shortys. Long tubes hang down under the frame rail too far and pour heat on the starter.

For exhaust you dont need another sensor. If you look your current sensor should be in the passenger down tube before the connection. Besides your vehicle is built to read 1 o2 sensor. If you buy headers one will have a bung in it for the sensor. If you need to make one just tig weld a nut onto your tube. As long as the sensor is in the exhaust stream its fine. Yes you will need to add a cat. If your state doesnt do sniffer tests you can get one at a junk yard and gut both of them and just run the shell for visual inspection.

If youre not going to build the engine up duals are a waste of money. Just get a flowmaster super 40 or another single in dual out muffler. But to build the engine you gotta do it all. A tbi injection system isnt ideal. Its just a metered electronically controlled carb. Still inefficient.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:10 AM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

Headers wont make much difference alone. You have heard of an engine being an air pump. If you smooth and increase the flow out. You need to improve and increase the flow in to get the full effect of the mods. Cold air intake and a cam with a bit larger lift rockers would do nicely. But in the end it will take 6-700 in parts to do this. Thats with you doing the labor yourself.

Just dont get taken in by claims .
The following users liked this post:
Half ton (06-30-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 08:51 PM

Thank you. You have changed my direction on the duals. I like the 40 idea thanks.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:15 PM
I

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I have full length headers and true duals on my '90. It performs great but I will say that duals won't get any more performance than a single exhaust. I wish I would have done a 3 inch single exhaust now. I think the only benefits of duals is to be able to say "yeah, I got true duals on my truck" you know the cool factor. And they sound awesome. But so does a good single.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:06 AM

I am probably go with a 3 inch single with shorty headers. Thanks Gentlemen.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default look it up

In most states like here in texas, if your vehicle is older then 84' you, by law fo not need a cat on your vehicle, even if it came from the factory that way. "BTW ive been a vehicle inspector for 2 years"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headers?.