Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Griswald707 the new Guy!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Griswald707 the new Guy!

Hello from Texas! got several Fords, 2016 F350, just restored A 93 F150 with a 302 V8 small RV cam with Long Tube Ceramic Headers, E4od trans, had it painted to match my 08 Bullitt mustang it has a stage 4 with M90 Roush kit in it. But I need help on my next project, its an 82 Ford F100 SWB with the 4.9 6 cylinder with the C4 trans and I want to put a 460 Big Block V8 with an AOD trans with a JW performance Bell Housing installed, I have A friend with A 72 F100 that had the 390 V8 Big Block in it. So my question is, will the frame mounts for the 390 work for the 460 if I bolt them into the 82 F100 frame? Please Help Thanks,
Old 03-30-2020, 09:39 AM

Received 790 Likes on 646 Posts

Welcome Griswald.

There's a couple of issues related to your question(s). The 390 was an FE big block motor although Ford referred to it as a medium block and the 460 was a 385 big block motor. The Y came as both a big lock and a small block. The MEL was a big block, The early SD truck motors were big blocks. The term big block and small block for that matter started with GM and it made sense. GM could be called the poor man's Porsche maker because they made the same engines from basically the same blocks for years. If big or small block was said referring to GM it automatically solved and uncomplicated swapping of parts and installation. Unfortunately that doesn't apply to Ford although big and small block was applied just the same. The FE came in two generations with differences between engine sizes and generations which are different from the 385 block, 460. Both engines come with a long list of different motor mounts defined by their year and the vehicle they came out of. I suppose there is a super Ford nerd out there somewhere that can spout all the different potential mounts for the two engines but good luck finding that person. lol Bottom line, it's not as simple as saying 390 and 460 only and thinking someone has any answers for you. You don't seem to know yet yourself what year of engine or what it's coming out of to get much help. I imagine that's why no one has answered.

All that said, it's not the mounts that are your limiting factor. It's your fabrication skills. You can put either motor in your truck and there are all kinds of OEM, universal and custom mounts out there for you to look at. Do you even know yet what your pinion angle is going to be, where your trans support is going to be, what the engine height and offset are going to be for your differential plans? You have a lot to figure out and a lot of decisions to make before you start looking in to mounts and other similar parts. Did the 82' F100 have a twin traction or twin I beam front suspension? More than likely you are going to have some issues to solve there first. It's not a problem but it is a "first things first" issue.

Didn't like seeing no one answered so I hope this helps some.

Last edited by River1; 03-30-2020 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:49 PM

Thanks so much for answering! ahh the 460 Doner Block is out of A 87 to 89 naturally aspirated F250 truck, its my third attempt at A useable block. Its being bore 30,000 right now as we speak. The 82 F150 is A 2wd with front twin I beam suspension. Thanks sooooo much for the response, if anyone has any questions please ask me I will get the answers! I love Fords come from A Ford family, work in A department of 15 people and im vastly outnumbered by the chevy and mopar guys! Anymore help with my question would be greatly appreciated! thanks.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:10 PM

Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

Welcome aboard grizwald. Moved your thread to the pre 87 section , should get more traffic there.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:23 AM

Thank you, was trying to figure out how to do this! I got the cost of the motor work yesterday!!!! Wow! $8000.00 Got to keep all this hid from the wife or she will kill me!

Quick Reply: Griswald707 the new Guy!