Factory Starter Will Not Work - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Factory Starter Will Not Work

Old 12-28-2017, 02:05 PM

Default Factory Starter Will Not Work

I bought this truck used and someone had rebuilt the 351W motor and the starter stopped working one day so i went to the parts store and got a new one to put on and it would not work either. The new starter worked fine it just wouldn't line up with the flywheel and turn the motor over. The old starter had a bigger gear in it then what the new had and i had the parts store try to match the old one but no one can so i just had it rebuilt. Worked fine for awhile and now its not working again. What i mean by not working is you can hear it grinding on the flywheel. I guess my question is could they have put a different flywheel in or could it be something else?
Old 12-28-2017, 10:39 PM

You're not imagining it. Lots of people have had problems with replacement starters. I've seen other posts saying the same thing, that the gears on the new starters don't line up with the old flywheels/flexplates. You could try talking to a local alternator shop. They might have a way to fix it.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:15 AM

There is a difference in the starters for a manual transmission as opposed to an automatic transmission. I'm sure the parts place realized this?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Factory Starter Will Not Work

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: