Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.
View Poll Results: Should I buy the truck?
Yes
100.00%
No
0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Engine will not run without constantly being given gas.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine will not run without constantly being given gas.

I am looking at buying a 1985 F150 with the 302, and 75k miles, $1500. Basically the truck runs, but only when the gas pedal is pressed to keep up the rpms, otherwise it sputters and dies. It will not idle. The kid selling it says that he recently changed the wires, but not the plugs. I have never had a vehicle this old and am hopeful that means it is less likely to be something I'll be chasing for a while dropping a bunch of money into fixing. I would think to start with changing plugs, battery, then fuel filter, then fuel pump, then cleaning injectors, then looking around for vacuum leaks. The trucks engine is clean and not leaking oil. Part of me thinks that the truck for $1500 is worth it even if i spend another $1000, given the praise I've read about the 302. If anyone has any ideas on where to start it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:49 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

If you buy the truck, I know for sure that advance auto sells a great little code tester and book for only $20. Becomes your best friend with these eec-IV systems. I'd say go for it. How is the rest of the truck? Body?

Quick Reply: Engine will not run without constantly being given gas.