Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

does the 1982 f-150 302v8 have a 02 sensor ?.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 01:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default does the 1982 f-150 302v8 have a 02 sensor ?.

Hello all. I bought a 1982 f-150 2 years ago and failed the emissions for running to rich. I jus failed the emissions again siting co gpm 159.8078 and limits are 65.0000 gpm. I wanted to know if any one knows one , if the 1982 f-150 302v8 even has a 02 sensor because mine does not ?. Does any one have any diagrams or where to get a diagram of where the 02 wires are supposed to wire to?.

I looked at the control module and it isn't connected to any catalytic converter?. I do have a cat on the truck but no where on the cat are any wires or 02 sensor at all. so i am confused ??. I am going to replace the cat as it is a 34 year old and a good guess the cat caused the excessively high co numbers.

I also did adjust the fuel mixture screws to get 15 lbs on my vacuum gauge hooked up to the carb so the carb shouldn't be the issue why i failed. All pointed to the cat or the sensor of which i have none. I am trying to find out where or to what the 02 sensors would hook up if i need to install one. There isn't even a 02 sensor bung to screw into so i'm lost and would appreaciate any help .

Is the truck supposed to have a 02 sensor on the cat and if so where would i wire it to ?. Thank you.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:57 AM

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

True EFI wasn't introduced until 1985 but they had 2 other systems between 1981 and 1983 called the Feedback Carburetor system and the Central Fuel Injection. Which do you have? You mention having a "carb" and adjusting the screws, so I'm gonna guess you have the Feedback Carb system.

There is a device in the diagram called an "Exhaust gas oxygen sensor" which is mounted on the passenger exhaust manifold. According to the diagram, this feeds into the harness. Whether the wires go to the ignition module or the processor assembly, I don't know.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Braggs
True EFI wasn't introduced until 1985 but they had 2 other systems between 1981 and 1983 called the Feedback Carburetor system and the Central Fuel Injection. Which do you have? You mention having a "carb" and adjusting the screws, so I'm gonna guess you have the Feedback Carb system.

There is a device in the diagram called an "Exhaust gas oxygen sensor" which is mounted on the passenger exhaust manifold. According to the diagram, this feeds into the harness. Whether the wires go to the ignition module or the processor assembly, I don't know.

Just wanted to come back and share my findings after talking to Exhaust pros' in Denevr , Colorado. Some ford 1982 f-150's have 02 sensors on the cat but not all. The 1982 -83's have sensors only on the dual exhaust models. Mine is a two into one exhaust system with no sensor on the cat or near the cat. The 1982 f-150 with the two into one exhaust does not have a sensor, who knew !. Thank you for your response , it helped me get to this conclusion. So i'm off to replace the cat this week and take the emissions test and if i fail due to high co's/running rich then i know its is then the carb i have to rebuild. So thank you.

Thank you for the feed back. I crawled under the truck again this morning and i found a metal tube connected to the passenger side exhaust manifold runing up to the back of the carb. It does not resemble a sensor at all it resembles a joint connection ?. I assume the cat on the 1982 f-150 does not have any sensors on it?. I tried Ford , but they say they don't service or keep any information on any vehicles below 1995 ?, so i'm SOL and that aint sole brother. I de carboned my motor yesterday by running a can of sea foam through the brake booster vacuum hose and it really cleared it up and the vacuum increased 100 %. So i guess i will have the new cat put on for $175.00 and use my free emissions test and if i fail due to high Co's then i will; have the carb rebuilt or replace the carb. I just didn't want to replace both at the same time to save money as i am a retired disabled Veteran and am on a small budget. I will try to verify that i don
t have a sensor on the cat or at least not supposed to or some one altered it but i don't think so it looks like the original cat and install from new so until i can verify i'm not supposed to have a sensor i will proceed with a new cat without a sensor ?. Do you have any suggestions as to a source to verify i have the " Feed back carb system and it does not have a sensor ?. Thank you so much!!.

Last edited by Half ton; 07-12-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:53 PM

The oxygen sensor can be mounted on the catalytic converter, but I've never seen it there... The sensor is more likely to be mounted on the exhaust line between the exhaust manifold and the catalytic converter and the hole is easily identified by a 1" nut or larger welded to the pipe (in case it was removed and plugged).

The metal tube you found is most likely the smog pump tube, a metal line that feeds air to the exhaust (read: catalytic converter) so the catalytic converter can continue to burn off excess fuel gasses in the exhaust before it reaches the tailpipe.

The "Central Fuel Injection" version of early EFI was similar to the "throttle body injection" of the bowtie-brand-vehicles. There will be two electronic injectors under the air cleaner with wires going to each. If you don't see injectors hovering over the venturi (read: it looks like a regular carburetor), then you've likely got the Feedback Carburetor system.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:02 PM

The oxygen sensor can be mounted on the catalytic converter, but I've never seen it there... The sensor is more likely to be mounted on the exhaust line between the exhaust manifold and the catalytic converter and the hole is easily identified by a 1" nut or larger welded to the pipe (in case it was removed and plugged).

The metal tube you found is most likely the smog pump tube, a metal line that feeds air to the exhaust (read: catalytic converter) so the catalytic converter can continue to burn off excess fuel gasses in the exhaust before it reaches the tailpipe.

The "Central Fuel Injection" version of early EFI was similar to the "throttle body injection" of the bowtie-brand-vehicles. There will be two electronic injectors under the air cleaner with wires going to each. If you don't see injectors hovering over the venturi (read: it looks like a regular carburetor), then you've likely got the Feedback Carburetor system.

I found out today from a guy who owns his own shop and races professionally told me to day that between 1980 and approx 1984 or 85 ?, that ford made so many changes to the f-150 emissions. That being said he told me that the f-150 truck with dual exhaust has a sensor on each cat either before or after the cat. The f-150 like mine which is a two into one exhaust does not have a sensor at all. The only thing the f-150 two into one exhaust has only one cat and no sensor , the only thing mine has is a metal tube running up from the passenger side uo to the rear of the carb.

I de-carbed it yesterday with a can of sea foam into the brake booster vacuum hose and this should help my emissions which is what this is all about at the end of the day. He also told me instead of buying expensive alcohol from home depot , but instead to buy E-85 , after all E-85 is 90 % corn alcohol combined with 10 % gas so i'm going to try this as well as some other tips he told me about not shutting it off while waiting in line because when the motor starts to cool and you start it then , it is at it's richest point.Got to keep that cat hot before the test, So here goes in a few days.

Last edited by Half ton; 07-12-2016 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:59 AM

You're gonna run E-85 for the test? Kinda interesting approach. I wouldn't use that stuff regularly, though, because ethanol deteriorates our old trucks. It will attract water into the gas tank and rust it out, it will harden the rubber fuel line segments, and also deteriorate the leather diaphragm in your mechanical fuel pump (if yours is still mechanical). At least that's what I've heard. I run 100% gas in mine, but then I don't have emissions testing.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:39 PM

You're gonna run E-85 for the test? Kinda interesting approach. I wouldn't use that stuff regularly, though, because ethanol deteriorates our old trucks. It will attract water into the gas tank and rust it out, it will harden the rubber fuel line segments, and also deteriorate the leather diaphragm in your mechanical fuel pump (if yours is still mechanical). At least that's what I've heard. I run 100% gas in mine, but then I don't have emissions testing.

Thanks for the heads up on the E-85 approach. I was using one gallon of denatured alcohol to five gallons of gas , what is your take on that as far as deterioration of any internal parts ?. How different is E-85 than de-natured alcohol ?. My plan was to buy round five to ten gallons of E-85 and go do the test and pass or fail drive to the nearest gas station and fill up with regular gas to dilute the E-85. My free test is up on the Wednesday the 20th of this month. I have to replace the rear brakes before i can take it back for my free re-test. I haven't decided weather to go with the E-85 or use the de-natured alcohol ?. My friend told me that all E-85 is just 90% corn alcohol and 10 % gas and i am not going to run it out i will dilute it right after the E-test.

Last edited by Half ton; 07-13-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:21 PM

I've never had to pass emissions testing, so I couldn't tell you whether alcohol will reduce emissions or not.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:28 PM

I've never had to pass emissions testing, so I couldn't tell you whether alcohol will reduce emissions or not.

The reason alcohol works in the E-test is that alcohol raises the octane rating and slows the burn process down and makes it a more complete combustion process. I don't have the time to change out the leaking rear tank because my free retest is up on the 20th of this month, so i'm going to drain the tank and blow it out with my shop vac. I was afraid all those fumes from the leaking tank may have an effect on my e-test as the tank is right there by the tail pipe sniffer and may help to taint my e-test by adding un burnt fuel which is what the co rating is , unburnt fuel ( too rich).
Old 06-23-2017, 11:01 PM
Old Timer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Half ton
The reason alcohol works in the E-test is that alcohol raises the octane rating and slows the burn process down and makes it a more complete combustion process. I don't have the time to change out the leaking rear tank because my free retest is up on the 20th of this month, so i'm going to drain the tank and blow it out with my shop vac. I was afraid all those fumes from the leaking tank may have an effect on my e-test as the tank is right there by the tail pipe sniffer and may help to taint my e-test by adding un burnt fuel which is what the co rating is , unburnt fuel ( too rich).
How did it go ?

Quick Reply: does the 1982 f-150 302v8 have a 02 sensor ?.